Today TSP is a great episode to share with new folks, especially those new to prepping. Every once in a while I have to take a real back up and discuss things at the basic level and frankly the starting out level.
Funny quick story here, when I started The Survival Podcast and coined the phrase modern survivalist in 2008 I was advised by many well meaning people to use the term Prepper and rebrand as say the Modern Prepper Podcast or something. Why? Survivalist was considered scary, tin hattish, new world order obsessed, etc.
I stuck to the following, this is what modern survivalist means.
- modern – of or relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past
- survival – the state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances
- ist – a suffix that means to specialize in
So modern survivalist means – one who lives in the present here and now and specializes in creating a life that will allow them to continue to live a good life in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.
Now do you see why I ask, “why isn’t everyone a survivalist”? Frankly if you are raising a child is this not what you would want for them? Would you not want to raise a young adult that can continue to thrive “in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances”. If that is what you’d want for your kids, don’t you think you should set a good example?
Now of course the funny thing is Prepper is just as maligned and considered “crazy” today as survivalist due to stupid nonsense like “Doomsday Preppers”.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- Yes modern survivalism is just common sense
- Not long ago preparedness was considered a virtue in America
- The story of the grasshopper and the ant, the original one
- Setting up basic redundancy, some really simple first steps
- A basic black out kit
- A 72 hour kit
- A basic documentation package
- Protocol and procedures and the differences between the two
- Basic food storage
- Basic water storage
- Basic situational awareness
- Basic financial management and debt elimination
- The most important thing, a survival mind set
- Where to go from here
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1406
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
- Safe Castle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.