The principles of Permaculture covered today are the 12 principles offered by Permaculture’s co-founder David Holmgren. There are far more than these 12, we are just going to cover these today as a way to expose our audience to what Permaculture is really all about.
I feel the discipline is largely misunderstood, either as simply organic farming on steroids or some hippy dippy lefty mud rolling eco leftist ideology. It is really neither, rather it is a design science used to create systems that work with nature to support all of humanities needs.
Join Us Today to Discuss…
- Why permaculture really should not be described as permanent agriculture
- Thinking about the difference between techniques and principles and why it is so important
- David Holmgren’s 12 Permaculture Principles and my thoughts on Them
- Observe and interact – (before, during and after)
- Catch and store energy – (create batteries for more the electricity)
- Obtain a yield – (systems should be producers, vs. consumers)
- Apply self regulation and accept feedback – (give before you take)
- Use and value renewable resources – (think in lifetime cost, beyond money)
- Produce no waste – (pollution is a wasted resource)
- Design from pattern to details – (design with the end in mind)
- Integrate rather then segregate – (function stack and explore all connections)
- Use small and slow solutions – (obtain the greatest effect with the least effort)
- Use and value diversity – (nothing natural is a mono-culture)
- Use edges and value the marginal – (systems edges have the highest productivity)
- Use and respond to change – (the only thing constant is change, all change is opportunity)
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Nicole’s Coffee Kick Starter
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Jack on Flote.app
- Voices – Chris Young
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.