Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-1494- The Practical and Holistic Approach to Food Storage and was first published on January 7th, 2015.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
Today is a show about one of the fundamentals of modern survival philosophy, food storage. Food storage is actually something that at one time was simply something everyone did. Every home in America at one time seemed to have a root cellar full of canned goods.
Today though food storage and the concept of survivalism or prepping is sensationalized and largely misunderstood. Many tend to hear survivalist and at once envision a guy sitting on a ten year supply of military rations in a basement or bunker somewhere. This image is hyped by media who simply wish to sell a story and worse is made up of journalists that live in a bubble of “the government will fix our problems”. The reality is that the bunker approach of military rations is both inaccurate and impractical.
To worsen matters as preparedness has become more of a hot industry long term food has become a product marketed largely on fear vs. on the practical benefits it offers. The reality is food storage doesn’t even require specially packaged 25 year stable products, though they can be useful in your food storage program. The simple truth is that a simple 60-90 day supply of food in your home can help the average family deal with every day occurrences and most disasters they might ever expect to encounter.
Join me today as we discuss…
- Why storing food is practical even if society never collapses
- Rule One – Eat what you store, store what you eat
- Keep a food journal
- Use “copy caning”
- Think with a “meal mentality”
- Store what “the kids” eat
- Store pet food as well
- Rule Two – Take advantage of opportunity buys
- Watch for sales
- Use coupons
- Pattern seasonal trends
- Rule Three – Find local sources of food and partake of them
- Buy from local producers
- Learn about local seasonal opportunities
- Yes hunting and fishing (leveraged with rule five)
- Learn local wild edibles (there is always something)
- Rule Four – Use commercially prepared long term storables as extenders
- Find “meal ingredients” and store those
- Buy a can of this, a can of that, try stuff, stock what you like
- Learn about making “meals in a jar”
- Don’t go overboard on this stuff
- Rule Five – Become a producer of food and/or storables
- Gardens are great, perennials are even better
- Small livestock is a great option
- Consider aquaponics, hydroponics and things like microgreens
- Learn multiple storage techniques
- Flash freezing
- Dry canning (I do it with jars and the vaccucanner)
- Producing storables from other foods is your silver bullet
- Become a great cook, stretch what others consider waste
- Where “rice and beans” fits in this mix
- Rule Six – Seek a Holistic Solution
- None of these rules stand alone
- A formula is always more than the sum of its parts
- Take your time, ease into this as a “way of living”
- How storing food empowers you to live a better life
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1494
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Harvest Eating – (sponsor of the day)
- Western Botanicals – (sponsor of the day)
- Free Rocket Mass heater Plans from Paul Wheaton (for only 24 hours)
- My Video on Biltong
- My Review of the Vaccucanner
- Podcast about Meals In A Jar with Jennifer Ess
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.