Episode-59- TSP Rewind – The Christmas Special 2017
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (0.0KB)
Most of today’s show is a recreation of 2008’s Christmas special. Today we pause and take a moment to reflect on Christmas and how it has become the Holiday we celebrate today. Many American’s have no idea just how Christmas became unique here in America, the role it played in bringing our nation together after two wars of independence and the civil war.
Christmas is special and a time to pause and reflect. Christmas is indeed a special time of year, today I will cover many aspects of it that may make this Christmas just a bit more special. There is also a full text transcription on of the non commercial portion of today’s show in the show notes below.
Tune in today to hear about…
- Christmas was banned in England at one time and even parts of America
- Early Americans didn’t really celebrate Christmas, (congress was in session on Dec 25th, 1789)
- In the early 1800s Christmas was a rowdy holiday spurred by class conflict, turmoil and unemployment
- In 1819, best-selling author Washington Irving wrote The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon bringing us many “ancient customs”, he simply invented
- Leading up to the Civil War, Christmas was a “southern holiday” and Thanksgiving a “northern holiday”
- How Christmas and Thanksgiving together helped to heal a young America
- Today is a time to pause, reflect and just be, prepping, planning and stress will all wait patiently for you
- Different ending music for today’s show! The most beautiful version of Oh Holly Night I have ever heard, just pause, listen and realize what really matters while it plays.
Resources for today’s show…
- Written Transcript of the Original Christmas Show (right click and save as for best results)
- Video I Made Using the Song By Martina McBride “O Holy Night” (song from the end of today’s show on Youtube)
Your Transcript of History of Christmas was right on. The need to look back, realize we are going thru, maybe another revolution, is not new at all. It’s what we need to strengthen our County and bring us together. Also to remember to put it all aside. Turn off devices, I may add. It’s about family, being grateful for what we have, and those that brought us to this point in time. O Holy Night was perfect while reading for sure. I will see if I can pass this on. Healing we all need.
Mary Anne Forgues from North(home), and now the South.
Regarding rewinds during your Christmas break….yes please.