Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-2669- 12 Really Cool Plants Inspired by Joseph Simcox & was originally first published on May, 28th, 2020.
The notes below are the original notes from that episode.
Joseph Simcox was awesome on yesterday’s show and after talking to him I looked up more of his stuff. I found this amazing 3 part garden tour on YouTube and listened to all of it and selected 12 plants inspired by it for today’s show.
This stuff is right up my alley and I know it is for many of you. While you have heard me talk about some of these before many of them are brand new to TSP for sure. Finding a new plant that provides food, fiber, medicine, etc. is like finding a new gem. In many ways is it better. If I buy a gem, I have a gem, if I buy a pack of seeds I can create hundreds or even thousands more seeds.
I now have some new food or other resource in my life and I can always create more of it. Ron Finely of CA who is an original gansta guerrilla gardener, is famous for saying “growing your own food is like printing your own money”. I agree and will add, finding a new plant that is easy to grow, pest resistant, tastes amazing and produces like crazy is like trading in your 5 dollar engraved plates for 20s.
Each plant on the list has a link, some are for seed sources and others just a starting point to learn more based on what I could find. Oh and one of today’s plants is growing in my garden right now and is featured in this video I did today.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Quote of the Day – “Growing your own food is like printing your own money”. ~ Ron Finley
- The incredible value you get from finding just a few new plants every year
- The 12 Plants for Today’s Show
- Papalo – A Heat Loving Cilantro Alternative (link for info) (seed)
- Red Bangladesh Amaranth – (seed and info)
- Lettuce Leaf Basil – (seeds)
- Achocha – (seed) (information) (more info)
- Tomato Leaves – yea really, no they are not toxic (link for info)
- Woodland Sunflower (cousin to Jerusalem artichoke) (info) (seed) note not sure this is seed for the right plant
- Egusi – (info)
- Desi Summer Squash – (seeds) (info-video)
- Dwarf Papaya – I don’t have a seed source I trust yet.
- Iban Eggplant – (info) Can’t find a seed source, might also be called Terung Eggplant, not sure.
- Luo Han Guo – Also called monk fruit (info) no trusted seed source yet
- Tooth Ache Plant (live plant) (seeds) (info)
- The reason I love stuff like this, I am 50 and can likely learn about a new plant every day for the rest of my life
Resources for today’s show…
- Find Me on Nostr
- The Entire Movie Harrison Bergeron on Odysee
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
- Interview with Joseph Simcox that Inspired this Episode
- Anker Soundcore Life P2 True Wireless Earbuds – Item of the Day
- The Self Reliance Festival in Camden TN – VIP Passes for SRF
- Get a Virtual Pass for Self Reliance Festival
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.