Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-1171- The Bright Future of Homesteading in America & was originally first published on July, 24th, 2013.
The notes below are the original notes from that episode.
In the 70’s there was a very large back to the land movement that just didn’t last. Many are calling the current boom in gardening and small livestock keeping something similar, but that is quite short sighted.
To begin with the current boom in such things really began about 2006 and was in full swing by 2008, it is now 2013 and things are moving faster then ever. That is a total of 7 years so far, the 70’s back to the land movement only lasted about half a decade before fading into oblivion.
So what is different this time and why is this new multi generational group of homesteaders different and what does the future hold for us. That is today’s subject.
Join Me Today As We Discuss…
- The 70’s movement was yet another cycle of things that occurred in the 60’s and the 30’s
- The 30’s were driven by survival and the 70’s by an escape mentality
- Both movements had some urban components but were mostly rural
- Today’s homesteaders are working land from 1/10th to 100 acres and more
- Today’s movement is driven by multiple factors
- Concern about the future
- The quality of our food
- The environmental damage of big agriculture
- The concerns about GMOs
- Regaining what was lost in Generations X and Y for everyone
- A change in the fundamental understanding of wealth
- An understanding of what is actually “beautiful”
- A desire to regain control in our lives
- What will sustain the modern homesteading movement
- The I can do this almost anywhere mentality
- The internet and info sharing
- Opposition will strengthen the movement
- It is being done BEFORE an economic crisis
- The problems of modern society are more evident then ever
- Automation and technology will make doing it easier
- The biggest reason, it is simply becoming accepted by most people
- Why I believe almost everyone will do at least a bit of homesteading in coming years
- What decentralizing even 25% of the food system would mean for society
Resources for today’s show…
- My Nostr Pub Key is npub15879mltlln6k8jy32k6xvagmtqx3zhsndchcey8gjyectwldk88sq5kv0n
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
- Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer – Item of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.