Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode with an all new introduction was originally Episode-551- All About Shotguns and first aired on Nov. 15th, 2010.
The following are the original show notes from that episode
I know it is Monday and we are supposed to do a listener questions show for people that email in questions and commentary but once in a while it is good opsec to change things up. Seriously I was just thinking about shotguns this morning and realized how many questions I get about them.
I also realize that my audience ranges from firearms experts to complete firearms newbies and even some that have never owned a gun in their lives. Additionally we have a lot of overseas listeners that live under the tyranny that comes when men are not protected by the right to bear arms. In many of those nation one of the things you can own is a shotgun.
The shotgun is really a do it all weapon, from home defense, to small game and even big game it really ca
n be your only gun if necessary. There are also many myths and misunderstanding about shotguns and both there capabilities and limitations.
Join me today as we discuss…
- What exactly is a shotgun and where did it come from
- What is “shot” and what do those numbers mean
- What exactly is a “gauge” and what relation does it have to caliber
- Anatomy of a shotgun shell
- Over powder wad
- Shot cup wad
- Shot (payload)
- Overshot wad (optional)
- Shot buffer (optional)
- What is a magnum
- A look at shotgun actions
- Break action (double and single)
- Pump action
- Semi auto
- Shotgun uses
- Small Game
- Big Game
- Sporting (clays, etc)
- Chokes and uses
- Cylinder bore
- Improved Cylinder
- Improved Modified
- Gauges and thoughts on them
- 10 Gauge – .775 “caliber”
- 12 Gauge – .729 “caliber”
- 16 Gauge -.662 “caliber”
- 20 Gauge – .615 “caliber”
- 28 Gauge – .550 “caliber”
- 410 Bore – .410 “caliber”
- Patterning reality
- Point and pull is a myth
- Ammunition can have a huge effect on pattern
- It is more about density than size
- Patterns on moving targets are different than still targets
- Precision shooting is the key
- Choosing a shotgun for your use
- What do you want it to do for you
- What budget do you have
- What weapons do you already own
- Consider fit as it relates to function
- Don’t discount the 20 gauge
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.