Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-2256- That Which You Can Change and originally aired on June 24th, 2018.
The following are the original show notes from that episode
Most people are familiar with “The Serenity Prayer“. This prayer was actually written by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971). The long version is seldom spoken of and it is much more what you would expect from a truly religious prayer. You can learn more about that if it interests you here.
The version most know, the one on necklaces, coffee cups and used in many 12 step programs is very simple and yet very profound, even for those like myself or are non religious people, is simply states…
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference.
Like I said this prayer is incredibly well known and even practiced by some atheists who simply remove any higher power from the concept and consider the substance of…
Accept what you can’t change,
and change what you can.
This is the concept that led to Steven Covey’s famous circle of influence vs. your circle of concern. I was thinking about all this recently and I realized in many instances these two pieces of wisdom often fail to work as a team, because people simply tend to focus on the first, and therefore expect the second to happen.
Such as if you simply stop worrying about or focusing on that which you can’t change, you will only be left with what you can influence, so you will have an impact on those things. The thing is, that actually does work to a degree and that can be bad. Why? It can lead to not doing enough to better your lot in life.
I think the flaw for most people that consider the wisdom and apply it to a degree of simply, accept what you can’t change, and change what you can, is they fail to do enough to even identify “that which can be changed”.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is “lifestyle design” and why it isn’t boring or tedious
- What the only alternative to lifestyle design is, and why it is terrifying
- Influence vs. control and the flaw of not separating the two
- The wisdom of accepting that which you can’t change
- The dangers of not identifying that which you can change
- Seven areas to identify that which can be changed
- Your approach to other people (social health)
- Your approach to recreation and fun (emotional health)
- Your approach to employment or business (productive health)
- Your approach to knowledge and skill (educational health)
- Your approach to giving back and charity (contributory health)
- Your approach to meditation/contemplation/prayer (mental health)
- Your approach to exercise/diet/activity (phyical health)
- Your approach to wealth/investing/savings/debt (financial health)
- The key is knowing
- What you can vs. can’t change
- What you should change
- How you should change it
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Buy Crypto Safe and Easy on CoinBase
- My Favorite NoKYC Crypto Exchange CoinEx
- SOE Tactical Gear – Where I get all my cool shirts
- Get the Exodus Wallet
- TipLightning – Learn about the Lightning Network
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.