Episode-19- TSP Rewind – Building Your Own Long Term Rations
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (12.9MB)
Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-561- Building Your Own Long Term Rations and originally aired on Dec. 1, 2010. The notes below are the original notes from that episode.
Remember while Rewind Shows are commercial free you can always support our show by Joining the MSB or simply by doing your Amazon.com shopping though TspAz.com
Last week a listener asked about question about building your own meals for a bug out bag or for back packing etc. As it was a feed back show I gave the 5 minute answer to the question. Today we dig deeper, I will give you some methods of creating long term storeable but ready to cook rations to supplement products like Mountain House, etc. These recipes are more about building bases first and then customizing them to taste.
Join me today to learn…
- Why create your own rations
- You know what goes in them
- Utilize your gardens production
- Easily scale them up and down (home and away)
- Save money
- One day it may be the only choice
- The vegetable soup base
- The chili base
- The potato/chowder base
- Tips and Tricks
- Why you should carry rice/beans separately
- Dehydrated beans and lentils are your friends
- Small packets for seasonings and certain items
- Vac sealers are great but not the only choice
- Getting meat into the picture
- Canned Meats
- Dehydrated Meats (biltong and jerkey)
- Freeze Dried (repackaged)
- TVP – When all else fails
- Fruits and Nuts and other Stuffs
- Dried berries, raisins etc. add flavor sweetness
- Flour is versatile and lasts a long time vac sealed
- Sardines and other canned fish (shrimp/clam chowder)
- Pastas – (think mini and cut spaghetti)
Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Join Our Forum
- Word Doc with my Soup Bases (right click and save as for best results)
- Harmony House Dehydrated Foods (source I mentioned of some really cool items)
- Members Support Brigade
- Ron Hood’s Survival.com Magazine
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.
As a Truck driver I had a hard time finding foods that didn’t put me to sleep. I bought a travel crock pot to make my Chili in, I used all the traditional ingredients but I didn’t have a way to get ground beef. So I used beef jerky cutting it into small pieces. I have also used walnuts and pecans coarsely ground. absolutely delicious.
Many useful tips. In a majore situation to to prepare stores easy to use. Hopefully heading back thru an educational step, and must make food to access the best I am able for a family member who had an huge salt intolerance to stay healthy. “Bumming bones” from every farmer/hunter I know to make and pressure can broth. Many thanks for your shared info.
Love your podcasts.