Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally, Episode-2022- Aquaculture for Sustainable Protein Production and originally aired on June 13th, 2017.
The following are the original show notes from that episode
This is something I am delving more and more into as time goes on because the return on energy input is so effective. I am working a great deal now with native fish species and I think this is truly the way forward for such things.
Sure you can break your neck trying to breed tilapia, once you get it right you have 6-7 months to grow them out and either they die in the cold or you have to provide heat to keep them alive.
When we look at using local species we can collect them for almost no cost, adapt them quickly to systems or small ponds and simply grow them out to harvest size. I am also not separating aquaponics from aquaculture today because in reality aquaponics is a form of aquaculture the two disciplines have some differences but in the end both can produce fish or shellfish for our consumption.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why grow fish in the first place
- Why grow local fish over faster growing exotics like tilapia
- Why tilapia still have their place
- Why I feel wicking beds are the ultimate tool to combine with all forms of aquatics
- Ebb and flow beds are useful in any system for filtration
- Plants can be grown directly in ponds as well
- Options when it comes to feed
- Floating, sinking, dual
- Why feeding “organic” can be almost impossible
- Natural feeding – minnows – worms – snails – other options
- Harvesting fish for your system (pros and cons)
- Rod and reel
- Netting (cast, seine, dip, etc)
- Species I highly recommend
- Bullhead and Channel Catfish
- Sunfish/Perch (bluegill, pumpkin seed, green sunfish, long ear sunfish)
- Housing Options
- In ground ponds
- Stock tank systems
- True aquaponics systems
- Timber frame lined tanks
- Some thoughts on automating system functions
- Why this is a truly sustainable an even regenerative solution
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Sacred 7 Mushroom Extract Powder – Item of the Day
- Buy Bitcoin on CoinBase
- My Favorite NoKYC Cryto Exchange CoinEx
- Get Paid in Bitcoin with Strike
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.