Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes.
Today’s episode was originally Episode-2709- Eggs the Back Yard Protein that Fed Americans for Generations and was originally published on August 11th 2020.
This series of rewinds running from Oct. 19th – 29th will be a skill set based rewind series.
All episodes will be dedicated to improving skill sets and knowledge base.
The following are the original show notes from that episode…
Yesterday I had to be in my car for a bit and so I listened to part of one of Nicole Sauce’s recent podcasts on meat chicken raising. She covered it all from getting new chicks to butchering them. It made me realize I have not talked about poultry recently and that hey I wanted to.
Not wanting to redo the great work Nicole just did I thought, well lets talk about the other side of bird keeping, eggs. I grew up at what I kind of like to think of as the end of the great era of back yard eggs in America. Happily it seems to be coming back strong, and we will talk about the why behind that today as well.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The method that my grandparents and almost everyone used in the 70-80s
- What really killed the back yard flock, yes regulations but not the ones you think did it
- Just like our grand parents to make chickens/ducks pay off we need to function stack them
- Don’t over look quail they are the most productive dual purpose poultry in the world
- Thoughts on procuring birds true local, local stores or by mail
- My brutal ass brooding method and why it works so well, yea some die, I am okay with it
- Strategy is a good idea as to weather and timing here is why I like brooding right now and in early fall too
- Balancing free range, coop and run and tractoring with needs of birds and needs of humans
- Different Birds to Consider
- Production Chickens
- Heritage Chickens
- Bantam Chickens
- Mallard Breed Conventional Ducks
- Runner Ducks
- Muscovy Ducks
- Working with neighbors
- Culling, don’t do this if you are not willing to cull or don’t know someone to take them 100%
- Some good ways to cook roosters and stew birds
- Believe it or not young roosters are often good fried old school style
- Coq a Vin
- Ground (many options)
- Feed the best, the good and the good enough
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Buy Bitcoin on CoinBase
- My Favorite NoKYC Cryto Exchange CoinEx
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.