Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-1428- Libertas a Virtual Nation and was originally published on September 17, 2014.
The following are the original show notes from that episode.
In Episode 1421 I discussed both the Estonian E-Citizen Program and Ecuador’s new Digital Currency and asked a simple question, could digital currencies and the concept of E-Citizenry be used to create a virtual nation.
I think this is a valuable thought experiment and I have some ideas I want to share today. The goal is to get a discussion going about what can be done, vs. what can’t be done. What might work vs. why nothing can work.
As part of this I created a forum thread to discuss a Virtual Nation’s Constitution would be like. There has been some interesting discussion and in particular some clear examples of limited thinking demonstrated in it. Part of this is my fault, for calling it a constitution. That framed it in the world of Statism vs. Nationalism. A better term would have been a Technical Specification.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- First I don’t want to be in charge, this isn’t my thing it is a thing
- Why we really should consider this
- Why we would not need, presidents, senators, etc.
- What makes a nation accepted by other nations and where VNs have an advantage
- Hard Force
- Soft Force
- Defensive Force
- Defined Borders
- What is a nation vs. what is a state
- Nation – a large group of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent or history.
- State – an organized community living under one government
- How the economy might work
- A set amount of contribution to the national reserve is established
- A new citizen buys something like bitcoin
- The bitcoin is exchanged for the nations currency
- The bitcoin or other currency is held as a reserve
- The two currencies are pegged to a fixed exchange rate
- Citizens do business in the virtual nation with the nations currency
- The reserve is a vault that citizens can buy currency from or convert it to an outside currency
- The action of buying currency is what creates it
- Yes Bitcoin already does a lot of this, sort of
- Why do it?
- As an example
- As peaceful revolution and protest
- To assert individual liberty however we can
- Replacing roles of the state
- Conflict resolution (courts)
- Product Quality Assurance
- What Can You Add
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Buy Bitcoin on CoinBase
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.