Episode-117- TSP Rewind – The 22 Rifle vs. The Shotgun for Survival Needs
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (11.5MB)
Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-360- The 22 Rifle vs. The Shotgun for Survival Needs and was first published on January 10th, 2010.
The following are the original show notes from that episode…
Today we examine one of the main questions discussed in forums and news groups, which is a better survival tool, the 22 or the shotgun.
Both have advantages and disadvantages join me today as we discuss some of them.
Join me today as we discuss…
- Why I hate the term “survival situation”
- What are you most likely to need a firearm for, food or defense
- How much weight and bulk are represented by 75 shot gun shells
- Which has greater “flexibility” the 22 or the shotgun, is that question relative to the situation
- Why the right tool for the right job is not always possible
- Which 22 rifle would I choose for a wilderness or defensive situation
- Why I still say to choose a bolt action for training
- Which shotguns top my list as the best utility tool for the job
- The real advantage of the semi auto shotgun and why it may never matter
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Cats in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.
This episode is one of my favorites.
When I go out into the sawtooth backpacking and use a gun to eat and yes I actually do that. I take a 12ga yes it is heavier and the ammo is heavy but some #6 Shot / Number 4 buck and a few slugs.
12ga with a 22 insert, or 38/44
Meets the one gun criteria and brings the shotgun versatility, but allows you to have a 500rd box of 22 to pop squirrels. Only an 8″ rifled barrel, but still works. Probably lighter than the over/under combo version.
PS – freaking LOVE these types of episodes.