Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-751- Common Sense vs. Consumerism and was first published on September 28th, 2011.
The following are the original show notes from that episode…
Today I wanted to take a moment to take a look at the concept of consumerism and how it directly conflicts with the preparedness lifestyle. Now don’t get me wrong I am a capitalist libertarian, I believe in the free market but I also believe in making informed consumer decisions.
Consumerism is the opposite of that, consumerism is a heard mentality where providers and producers spend time competing for existing market share and replacing products that are still functional. An informed consumer market requires producers and providers to innovate and create better longer lasting products and services.
Join me today as I discuss…
- Early Retirement Extreme – a book that got me thinking this way
- Are we in a “climax stage” as in Permaculture
- Are companies innovating or competing in existing markets
- Working Man v. Salary Man v. Business Man v. Renaissance Man
- How our grandparents evaluated a purchase of a product
- Do I need it
- Does anything I have fill the role now
- How long will it last
- What will it do for me and my family
- How long must I work to pay for it
- If I don’t buy it what difference will it really make
- How companies market products today
- Can we create a fad/cult following around it
- What existing market share can we capture with it
- Can we build a market to sell subsequent products to
- Is it a consumable or designed to fail
- How cheaply can we manufacture it
- Can we outsource most of the work
- Will it last long enough to avoid returns
- Can we sell it for less than the competition
- Or can we justify a premium at little to no internal cost
- How do we avoid the consumerist trap and still have fun and cool stuff
- Avoiding debt solves most of the problems
- Have a 48 hour waiting period on major purchases
- Ask the questions our grandparents did
Additional Resources for Today’s Show
- Members Support Brigade
- TSP Gear Shop
- Silver and Gold Shop – (sponsor of the day)
- HarvestEating.com – (sponsor of the day)
- Early Retirement Extreme – Book I mentioned today
- Episode 752 – Courtney Clay on UnSchooling – Episode I mention at the end of this old episode.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.