Today is an episode of TSP Rewind, commercial free versions of past podcast episodes. Today’s episode was originally Episode-1797- Training Dogs to Fit in on the Homestead and was originally published on May 31st, 2016.
The following are the original show notes from that episode…
While I will be covering a lot on dog training today specific to homestead environments, such as interaction with livestock, this show should benefit anyone wanting a better relationship with their canine friends.
I do want to make clear, I am not talking about LGDs, today, that would be livestock guardian dogs. While my dogs provide some protection to my animals they are not LGDs by a long shot. That is a highly specialized dog niche, requiring a very unique approach.
I will instead today be talking about how to turn your dog into a good member of your family. One that doesn’t eat your birds, go into the trash, pee in the house, hurt visitors or let in strangers unchallenged. I mean no other family member would be expected to behave this way.
Join Me Today To Hear About….
- Dog psychology 101
- Dogs live in the now, 2 seconds ago, and 2 seconds from now
- Disciplining a dog 5 minutes or 5 hours after he does something is abusive
- Discipline is a means to training it is not training
- Dogs want to please you, they need to be shown how
- Dogs communicate 99% with body language not sounds
- You are the pack leader, unless you ruin that, don’t ruin it
- The basic training
- House training – the easy way
- Sit, stay, come, leave it, take it in one week max
- Tricks – the good, the bad, the ugly
- Leash training – it is so about the energy you emit
- Socializing in public places
- Training dogs to work with and around stock
- The best idea is to start with a pup or a docile adult
- The electric training collar – technique and tactics
- The message is any and all aggression against stock is not acceptable
- Where it really all stems from
- A command is not a request
- Being phyical does not require pain to be effective
- You have to expect that the animal will respond to you
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1797
- Join Our Forum
- TspAz.com – support TSP when you shop on Amazon
- Western Skies – Chris Ledoux
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.