UPDATE – Since this Posting This Event Has Sold Out. If you want to be notified if we have any cancellations email jack at the survivalpodcast.com with “standby event list” in the subject line. If any cancellations occur we will offer slots in the order received. Remember registration for our Nov event will start soon.
From now until Wednesday morning the Fall Workshop is open for MSB Members to sign up and make their deposit. The workshop runs from Oct 1-3 with on site camping and set up from Sept 30 – Oct 4.
To make your deposit, just go log into your MSB account and you will see a link to register in BOLD RED right at the top, you can’t miss it.
To give you a feel for how jam packed this event is, here is the current schedule, subject to revisions due to harsh reality of course.
What this workshop will cover
- Function Stacking in Homestead Design
- Nine Mile Farm Operational Walk Though
- Self-Watering Stock Tank Container Gardens
- Worm Farming and Composting
- Green House Construction and Set Up
- Micro Greens Production and Business Start Up
- Fermented Foods and Dry Canning
- Investing and Financial Management
- Plant Propagation
- Honey Bee Management
- Managing a Property with Ducks
- Q&A Sessions
- Live Music
- Great Food
- Barter, Community Building and More
Join us for a fun learning experience. For this event we have a strict limit of 34 people.
Schedule – None of this is set in stone, we will adapt to any weather events and such.
Wednesday Sept. the 30th – Our Property will be open any time after 2PM. This time is mostly just for setting up campsites. We do always toss some brats or sausage on the grill and have a social gathering with beers and just getting to know each other as well. This is very informal and just hanging out for those who show up early.
Thursday Oct 1st – (lunch and dinner provided, breakfast is a light continental style on the first day)
- 8:00 – 9:00 – Coffee and Breakfast Bars, etc. and Property/Safety Briefing
- 9:00 –10:30 – Class – Microgreens Part One – With Jon Dowie
- 10:30 – 12:00 – Class – Building Self Watering Container Gardens with Jack Spirko
- 12:00 -1:30 – Lunch
- 1:30 -3:00– Class – Finish Container Gardens Green House Project Updates with Jack Spirko
- 3:00 – 3:30 – Break
- 3:30 – 4:30 – Function Stacking with Nick Ferguson
- 4:30 – 5:30 – Property Walk – Duck Management with Jack Spirko
- 5:30 – 6:30 – Seed and Plant Exchange (First Day Happy Hour)
- 6:30 – 7:30 – Dinner
- 7:30 – ???? – Drinks, Music, Barter, etc.
Friday (three meals provided)
- 9:00 – 10:00 – Breakfast
- 10:00 – 11:00 Microgreens Part 2 – With Jon Dowie
- 11:00 – 12:00 – Dry Canning and Fermented Foods – With Jack Spirko
- 12:00 -1:00 – Open Hour for Work Ins and Arounds
- 1:00 – 2:30 – Lunch and Break Time
- 2:30 – 4:30 – Making Biochar with a Cone Kiln – with Jack Spirko
- 4:30 – 5:30 – The Middle Class Guide to Wealth with John Pugliano
- 5:30 – 6:30 – Plant Propagation with Nick Ferguson
- 6:30 – 7:00 – Break for Clean Up
- 7:30 – 8:30 – Dinner
- 8:30 – ???? – Drinks, Music, Barter, etc.
Saturday (three meals provided)
- 9:00 – 10:00 – Breakfast
- 10:00 –12:00 – Beekeeping with Jason Smith of JC’s Honey Bees
- 12:00 -1:00 – Making the Most of a Worthless Currency with John Pugliano
- 1:00 -2:30 – Lunch
- 2:30 – 3:30 – Greenhouse Set Up Walk Through with Jack, Jon and Nick
- 3:30 – 5:30 – Microgreens Part 3 – With Jon Dowie
- 5:30 – 6:30 – Q&A With Nick, John, Jon and Jack
- 6:30 – 7:00 – Break and Clean Up
- 7:30 – 8:30 – Dinner
- 8:30 – ???? – Drinks, Music, Barter, etc.
- 10:00 AM – Coffee, breakfast bars and left overs put out.
- 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM – Goodbyes please consider helping us pick up before you go. (all guests to depart by 11:00 AM)
- There are local hotels within 15 minutes of our property; we are getting a group rate, details to follow after you reserve space.
- We have large steel frame buildings with large bay doors that open for a breeze. If you want to bring a cot or such and claim a spot inside for sleeping space is unreserved and first come first serve, no reservations necessary. No charge. We are suggesting our outer building for this as others may be using the TV and such in the 3 Bay Garage attached to the house, but the choice is yours.
- If you want to tent camp on the property, space is first come first serve, no reservations needed. No charge. We will let you know what areas are open for this though.
- We have about 8 locations with trees suitable for those that want to hammock camp, first come first served. We have never had a space issue for hammock campers.
- NO RVS AND NO TRAILERS OF ANY KIND ON PROPERTY AT ALL NO EXCEPTIONS there is a near by RV Park if you want to sleep in your RV.
Frequently Asked Questions about TSP Events.
Question – Where is this event?
Answer – After you sign up you will get a document with all event details. The address is only given to students who have paid a deposit. But for your planning purposes we are near Azle Texas. That is just north of Fort Worth.
Question – What is the best airport to fly into?
Answer – The best bet is Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW) it is only about 35 minutes assuming traffic isn’t at peak from our home. The only other viable option is Dallas Love Field (DAL) this may save you money if Southwest Flys direct from your airport but it is a longer drive. I would plan on an 1 hour and 15 minutes or more despite what google maps will tell you if you fly into Love Field.
Question – What type of food is served at these events?
Answer – The key word is meat but we have other stuff too. Generally we serve eggs (from our own flock) for breakfast with bacon and sausage and tortillas for breakfast with awesome local salsa and fixings. We also include a selection of fruit, breakfast bars, etc. Lunch is deli meats, chicken salad, left overs from dinner the night before and other things. This year we are planning some new things for lunch including awesome shredded chicken from our own birds and Dorothy’s amazing meat balls. Sometimes we have soups or other similar items for lunch. Dinner is usually rotisserie chicken one night, brisket another night and smoked pork shoulder the other night. Generally some awesome sausage finds its way into our menu as well. A full lunch and dinner are provided all three course days. We provide only coffee, fruit and breakfast bars on the first day for breakfast. We provide full breakfast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday we provide coffee, breakfast bars, fruit and left overs.
Question – What are the camping conditions like?
Answer – The key word is primitive. We allow tent camping on site just about anywhere on our property. We have an outbuilding that we let people put a cot or air mattress in but it usually gets pretty full and it is first come first served. There are plenty of trees for hammock camping as well. Most folks enjoy camping because you can have adult beverages and not worry about driving and the people are just awesome to hang out with. Most nights people end up staying up late talking and having a lot of fun playing pool, darts, spending time at the camp fire etc. November is usually pretty comfortable temperature wise especially at night but it rains often so be prepared for that. And be prepared for some cold nights! Average Nov. Temps are 66 for the High and 43 for the low, but we have seen Nov. Temps in the high 80s and occasionally lows in the 20s or lower!
Question – Is there a good hotel near by?
Answer – There is a great holiday inn, we get you a group rate and it varies but it is very nice hotel and we have normally gotten a rate of about 82 dollars in the past plus tax. When you sign up just indicate if you want a hotel so we have a head count for group rate info.
Question – Can students share a rental car, a ride to the airport, a hotel room, etc.?
Answer – Sure but to be blunt we do not get involved in that. We have way too much work to do so that you guys have a good experience when you get here. I view it this way from the time you get on my land till you leave it is my responsibility to make sure you learn, have fun and are well fed. Off site I leave it to you to deal with things. However, we have a private email list and many students work out things like this between themselves on it. Make sure to join it as soon as you get your instructions packet as their will be information on it.
Question – I have a question that isn’t answered here, should I sign up, I don’t want to loose my deposit?
Answer – When I send out the instruction document you have 48 hours to review the document, if something is a deal breaker you can cancel with a refund in the first 48 hours. After that this is my refund policy and I think it is as fair as I can be with it. My events always sell out but the closer we get the harder it is to back fill a no show. If I can sell your spot I give you a refund, if I can’t sell your spot due to it being to close to the event date, I don’t refund it.
Question – Will you take bitcoin for this event? What about silver?
Answer – I have a huge capital outlay on these events so I can’t take silver. I can only take PayPal for the deposit (you can use a credit card without a paypal account) but I will take bitcoin by special arrangement for the balance due but it will have to be at least one week prior to the event. If you want to do this, email me for arrangements.