Today is sort of kind of a permaculture episode, but not necessarily one. I think we have a lot of people in the audience that want more food production but do not necessarily really care about “permaculture” as a concept unto itself. I think this show will make both camps pretty happy.
The truth is we have lost a lot of knowledge about growing fruits and nuts in our nation. We have equated trees with large giant things you could never reach the top of. We see trees as things to climb, hand ropes from and build a fort in.
Due to this many seem to feel a large variety of productive trees could never exist on a small piece of land, such as the average 1/10th – 1/5th acre yards most suburban homes have. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Today I will discuss the basics of setting up an intensive perennial system based on mostly trees, bushes, shrubs and vines. How to get multiple yields across a full season, keep the work load minimal and even tell you about some species you have likely never heard of.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- How fruit was grown at “Manor Houses” in England
- How trees really “work” and why you can treat a tree like a shrub
- The importance of balancing top to root structure
- Why you should “thin” fruit at times
- The importance of heavy mulch
- Cultivation of mushrooms
- The role of shrubs, vines, bushes
- Why I have changed my view of multi-graft trees to positive
- Some Unusual Trees/Plants to consider
- Sea Berry (awesome medicinal)
- Paw Paw
- Cornelian Cherry
- Cornus Mas (red and yellow)
- Cornus Kousa (sometimes called big apple kousa)
- Dwarf Mulberry (Morus Alba Issai)
- Elderberry (awesome medicinal)
- Honey Berry
- Chinquapin (like little chestnuts)
- Hazelnuts – Filberts
- Loquats – (citrus in zone 7)
- Potted trees for citrus and other things
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the MSB
- The Year 1317
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Defense Consultants– (sponsor of the day)
- Black Belt Magazine – (Discount Vendor of the day 50% off a subscription)
Sources of Many of the Plants I Mentioned Today and Other Cool Stuff
- Deep Green Permaculture Back Yard Orchard Techniques
- Dave Wilson Nursery Back Yard Orchard Techniques
- Bob Wells Nursery in Lindale Texas – This man is AWESOME!
- Burnt Ridge Nursery – Awesome stuff including some cool Autumn Olives
- Willis Nursery – Very Cool Stuff, Good Prices and Some Real Hard to Find Things
- Dave Wilson Nursery Multi Graft Trees – You can buy them from Bob Wells listed above
- Oikos Tree Crops – Some things they have I have never even seen anywhere else, I learned of them from Dave Jacke
- Raintree Nursery – A great source of unique plants and great info on them. Their catalog should be sold as a book it is that informative.
- Dwarf Mulberry – This link is for information more than a recommended place to buy, you can find better prices and I don’t really know about this company yet.
- Roger Meyer on Jujube Cultivation – Great video not super exciting but very informative.
- Producing Mulberry From Cuttings – Really easy to do, this is a video. If you just want to see the technique jump to about 2 minutes and 20 seconds. And yea it is this easy!
- Victorian Kitchen Garden Episode One – This is pretty cool and you can find the other episodes in the related videos section.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Stephen Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.