I was told today that I needed to do less about plants and yes, this is a quote,
Don’t mean to sound negative, but our country is burning down!! I know you get excited about new plants. We need to concentrate on proven things now. Time to get back to basics!!”
I have to say I was up in the air about what to discuss today until I got this email and it shoved me right into plants and food preservation. While not what the guy meant, what other than that is a proven thing that is part of the basics? Seriously do you think me adding to the talking head chorus right now about who is right when pretty much everybody involved is wrong will help? This guy then went on to say….
“Our lives are fixing to get the FUBAR treatment!”
He damn well may be right too! So you had better right now get with being more self sufficient and the best place I know to start is with food. Right now unless you live in an urban center you have very little to worry about from riots. When riots happen, stay away from them, see to your own shit and shore up your weaknesses.
I live only about 20 minute from Fort Worth, my total plans to deal with some of the shit that is going on there right now are as follows.
- I am not going to go there while this is going on
- I am prepared to defend my property as I am always
- See numbers 1 and 2
I also expect the odds of rioters marching out to where I live where 90% of home owners also own guns and will shoot you in the face if you try it to be low. Instead I am focusing one what I control. Today I invite you to consider doing so as well…
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Okay you want something on the riots, they teach us
- Most people are assholes, the less they have to lose the more so
- Get the hell away from city centers, they are simply not good places for humans to live
- Pay attention to what is going on, then avoid problems
- See to your own shit
- You want to really know why people will “burn down their own cities” the simple answer you won’t hear on TV
- Why focusing on self sufficiency is the only real solution – ties into our quote of the day from Bill Mollison
- “We’re only truly secure when we can look out our kitchen window and see our food growing and our friends working nearby.”
- Now on to better things
- The best methods of storing your garden production and how to do them
- Sun Drying
- Dehydration (yes this is different in a way)
- Blanch and Freezing
- Canning (acid water bath and pressure)
- Quick Pickling
- Lacto fermentation
- In ground storage (improvised root cellaring)
- Cold season stasis (don’t worry it will make sense)
- Almost nothing – yea this is a thing
- Ten Productive Summer Vegetables that Store Well
- Egg Plant
- Beans (string and dry)
- Sweet Potato
- Summer Squash
- Winter Squash
- Swiss Chard (any greens)
- Ground Nuts
- Final thoughts – ask yourself what you control
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Fermented Vegetables Book I Mentioned
- The Spirit of Radio – Rush
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.