I have talked a lot recently about my results from eating mostly paleo and my view of Robb Wolf’s book, The Paleo Solution. For those unaware I have lost over 70 lbs eating this way.
I have personally always been a big fan of a diet based on meat, seeds, fruits and vegetables and minimal on all white starches specifically potatoes and grains like wheat and rice. As I have researched and experimented with this I have come up with a few rules I have been following. They are actually quite simplistic and easy to live with.
Unfortunately I think they also have created a few misconceptions. Simplicity it seems often creates confusion.
Here are the rules I have been following…
- I only eat foods that would taste good in their natural state as in raw and unaltered. This doesn’t mean I eat them raw, only that I could do so if I choose to. This includes meat which we currently cook due mostly to cultural bias and health concerns.
- I don’t do any regimented exercises as in 1, 2, 3, 4 style things. Mostly I stay very active and I walk a lot 2-4 miles day in rugged terrain, garden, play with my dogs, etc.
- I don’t count calories or let myself get hungry. I eat as much as I want of the foods that I allow myself to eat. When I do eat foods not on my list I eat small amounts and do not do it often. So yes I might eat a few french fries, but it is a very rare thing.
- 70-80% of my caloric intake is meat and fat. This is mostly an estimate because I don’t track it well enough to be 100% accurate. So while I eat nuts, veg, fruit, etc they are small components of my diet. Keep in mind a pile of greens has very few calories, so this is about caloric intake not bulk.
Since I went public with this program I have had some really great feedback, some skeptics and some responses that I can only call “religious veganism”. I have also had people concerned about my cholesterol, me “limiting myself” and plenty of other busy body do gooder type emails of concern. To combat this I have done a few episodes of the podcast on Paleo and tried to explain the actual system vs. the preception.
It occurred to me the problem just might be I am addressing the questions I think people have based on their comments rather then the actual questions at their core.
So I have two shows planned to address subject….
1. A show by me answering your questions directly
2. Dr. Greg Ellis will be on the show on Nov. 16th to discuss carb reduction, glycation and more
So send me your questions to jack at thesurvivalpodcat.com with “paleo” in the subject line, if you have question or concerns.
I will assemble your questions and I will answer the ones that I feel I can do a good job on individually. I will then address your more complex scientific questions and concerns to Dr. Ellis when he comes on the show.
Understand I am doing these shows because after years of my own research and results I feel this topic needs to be addressed and understood. I feel standard nutritional guidelines are actually killing people with the very disease and illness they claim to prevent.
I know this topic upsets some people but the reality is there are mountains of scientific data that support this view and I want the audience to understand it fully so each of us can make our own informed decisions.