Last week we talked about a lot of great new plants to grow for 2018 so today is a good time to talk about starting all those seeds you’ve ordered or will be ordering this month. Today’s show was prompted by a question about leggy seedlings of tomatoes grown for market sales, but I think it will help everyone.
Today’s show includes a segment from a show back in 2012. I am doing this to help save my voice during my cold (dubbed snot slinger flu). More so however, because I think this information is imperative to understanding how to get best results with seed starting, and frankly the way I teach it hasn’t changed in all these years.
Join Me Today To Discuss…
- Understanding how seeds germinate in the wild (this answers so many questions)
- Setting up your seed starting systems
- How much do you want/need to start
- Indoors, garage, outdoors. green house
- Lights (LED, T5, T8, Natural)
- Heating (mats, space heating, etc)
- Determining your starting dates
- Determine last frost date
- Plan at least one week later
- Count backwards based on time to “set out”
- Trouble shooting
- Slow / Low germination
- Poor color
- Mold, slime, etc.
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- The Year 91
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Get Your Liberty Forum Tickets – Use Code tsp10 for 10% off all tickets.
- Grow Tent I am Using for Seed Starting
- 600 Watt Grow Light I am Also Using
- 45 Watt Kingbow Lights
- Dealing with Leggy Seedlings Video
- Live or Die – Meat Loaf
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.