I have gotten quite a few emails as of late about setting up remote properties, bug out locations etc. They have ranged from people who are property hunting, to those who just acquired raw land and some with partially developed properties.
Today we discuss remote land/home ownership and the unique advantages and challenges it represents. Far to many see a BOL solely as a place for when the shit has really hit the fan, like TEOTWAWKI level stuff. The reality is a BOL serves a variety of functions.
In our case we haven’t had a BOL since 2011 when we moved to Arkansas to a place that had been serving as such for about 6 years at that time. After a shot stint up there of about two years, it was clear my wife’s heart was in Texas. We decided to sell the remote property and use the gains to improve our new homestead in Texas.
Over the yeas I constantly find myself scouring places like LandsOfTexas.com, LandWatch.com and UnitedCountry.com looking for that perfect get away property. This time my goals are a bit different, yours may be more like my first property, the one I am looking for now or something entirely different. The purpose of today’s show is to help you find the right property for your needs. Further to decide if having such a property is even right for you at all.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why would you want a remote property
- Fall back location
- What I think makes a property desirable
- Water availability
- Access to and on the property
- Structures and or suitable sites for said same
- Distance in the “sweet spot”
- Grid power
- Near a Small Town
- Secure and having “Good Neighbors”
- No Restrictions
- Some additional considerations
- Vehicle requirements
- Housing options and choosing a location
- Drinking water, showers, toilets, etc.
- Fencing and gates
- Generators and Off Grid Living
- Relying on local knowledge
- The value of “creature comforts”
- Questions to ask yourself
- Are there other things I really should do first
- Can I really afford it
- How often will I really use it
- What do I most want out of it
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Find Your TSP Facebook Group for Your State
- Outlaw You on SongFacts.com
- Outlaw You – Shooter Jennings
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.