I get a lot of requests for more “old school” episodes of TSPC and most of those focus on homesteading, permaculture, hard skills, etc. which lead us to the pillars of homestead series that we will continue today. In part two of this series we are going to cover the second pillar, back yard livestock.
Note this series is not about commercial farming for a profit, scaling food production to feed 50 families, etc. Rather old school American homesteading like our grand parents did. Feed yourself, store surplus and share surplus with your neighbors. That is not to say a side hustle market garden or similar won’t fit with this series just that the foundation is first about “feeding the family”.
So what are the pillars, for this discussion there will be four….
- Back Yard Livestock
- Perennials and Herbs
- Local Hunter Gatherer Knowledge (foraging and trade)
Like any set of “pillars” these are not end all, be alls, just the foundation on which to build. Each is connected to others though function stacking and additional systems. Gardens create waste, animals create waste the two are connected via composting, compost feeds the garden which feeds the humans and animals as one example.
Small scale livestock is about as old as human settlements are. We have tons of fossil records of humans keeping animals going back many thousands of years. Early hunter gatherer societies as they formed more permanent settlements figured out that game was not always cooperative with being harvested but livestock could be relied upon to always be there.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The four pillars and why we are talking about them at the beginning of winter
- Small livestock
- Hunter/gatherer/local-trade knowledge
- Why livestock are the second pillar
- Protein and fat production
- Can be done very inexpensively
- Process waste material into fertility
- Likely there is an option for almost anyone
- The primary small livestock for small landholders to consider
- Worms or BSF (black solider flies)
- Ducks (conventional)
- Muscovy Ducks
- Sheep (hair sheep)
- Pigs (smaller breeds)
- The rules that keep you from hating yourself
- One at a time
- Get rid of what doesn’t work for you
- Infrastructure first, I MEAN IT!
- Develop a system of management so simple you can teach it to a 10 year old
- Have realistic goals
Resources for today’s show
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- SOE Tactical Gear – Where I get all my cool shirts
- All the Bitcoin/Crypto Tools & Gear I Recommend
Sponsors of the Day
- Knife Kits
- Bulk Ammo
- Learn to Self Custody your Bitcoin
- Outdoor Edge 3.5? RazorLite EDC – Item of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.