So I had anohter one of my little ideas for an easy show. Ask me about quail and I will do what I can to answer them. Figured a dozen questions might come in, well um yea. The Regenerative Ag Group on Facebook alone has PAGES of questions on this.
Frankly this makes the Three Hours of Q&A I did on ciders and meads look like a walk in the park! But I will do my best.
To make this even doable, here is what I decided to do. There is no way to go though them in real time with like a rapid fire response, so I took about two hours to come up with the questions below. I have tried to make them as generic as possible. Some of the more specific questions to an individual I can work into general feedback shows in the future.
Join Me Today As I Answer…
- What type of quail do I have [time stamp 13:45]
- Do I have a good book on quail to recommend [time stamp 15:20]
- What type of quail gives the best yield of meat and eggs [time stamp 16:25]
- What is the difference between a Texas A&M Quail and a Brown Quail [time stamp 17:30]
- Why am I likely to switch from A&M back to Browns [time stamp 21:00]
- How would you breed to get white quails if you wanted that [time stamp 23:03]
- Since birds like Bobwhites get bigger why not raise them [time stamp 26:45]
- How do I find quail to buy locally [time stamp 28:35]
- What is the biggest initial cost in getting set up [time stamp 31:49]
- What bases do you really need to cover before getting birds [time stamp 36:43]
- How small a number makes sense what is the lowest number you’d recommend [time stamp 40:43]
- What is there optimal stocking density, how dense is just too dense [time stamp 43:30]
- How would you set up quail in a rack system – IE garage style [time stamp 46:52]
- How would you set up quail in caging but out doors [time stamp 51:32]
- How would you set up quail in a “quail tractor” [time stamp 56:49]
- How would you set up a coop/run style of thing [time stamp 1:04:00]
- How will my rotational aviary work [time stamp 1:05:55]
- How can you automate watering [time stamp 1:12:28]
- How can quail be integrated into a composting system [time stamp 1:14:10]
- Why can’t you “free range quail” or use electro net systems [time stamp 1:18:23]
- How can you deal with mosquitoes and flies around your quail [time stamp 1:21:22]
- Could you do quail “seasonally” and not keep them though winter [time stamp 1:24:40]
- What do I feed my quail [time stamp 1:34:00]
- Why do quail get prolapse or weak shelled eggs [time stamp 1:37:50]
- What special needs do they have diet wise [time stamp 1:39:37]
- How to you minimize feed waste [time stamp 1:40:15]
- What is the best breeding ratio [time stamp 1:42:58]
- Can you grow 100% of the food your quail need [time stamp 1:44:20]
- What about really hot climates [time stamp 1:50:38]
- What about really cold climates [time stamp 1:51:42]
- What do they taste like, is the meat dark, light, etc. [time stamp 1:53:10]
- Why do I skin vs. pluck my birds [time stamp 1:57:10]
- How do I slaughter and process my quail [time stamp 2:00:06]
- How many eggs do they really lay [time stamp 2:06:40]
- My birds are old enough but not laying, why [time stamp 2:09:22]
- Why are quail eggs better than chicken eggs [time stamp 2:12:02]
- What is the brooding process [time stamp 2:19:56]
- What is the incubation process like, what type of incubator works best [time stamp 2:22:16]
- How many birds do I need to eat quail once a week and eggs three times a week [time stamp 2:26:52]
- What are the input and out put numbers, feed, time, production [time stamp 2:37:18]
- Can you legally sell meat in _____ [time stamp 2:41:15]
- Can captive quail really be part of a regenerative system, isn’t it small scale factory farming [time stamp 2:47:50]
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1717
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TSP Business Directory – (sponsor of the day)
- Backwoods Home – (sponsor of the day)
- Brad Davies Quail Presentation Power Point
- Chicken Water Cups Brad Uses, I Found Some with 1/2 inch PVC already set up!
- Video of Brad Davies’ Quail Set Up
- Brad Davies Processing a Quail at My Nov. Workshop
- Facebook Regenerative Ag Group
Bob Wells Nursery “Plant Of The Week” – 4 In 1 Fruit Salad Tree It is adaptable from zone 6 to zone 9
Multiple-budded fruit tree on Nemaguard rootstock, with 4 of the following varieties: Polly White Peach, Harcot Apricot, Harken Peach, Harco Nectarine, Superior Plum.
If you need more variety from a limited space? The multiple-budded fruit tree is the answer! Multiple-budded fruit trees will give you several fine selections of tree-ripened fruit from the space of a single tree.
Bob Wells specializes in edible landscape, including: Fruit Trees, Berry Plants, Nut Trees, as well as the hard to find Specialty Fruit Trees. Find this plant and more at BobWellsNursery.com
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council that can answer you questions. If you have a question send it to jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with TSPC Epert in the subject line. Ask your question in one to two sentences so it is clear then provide any additional details. Make sure to tell me what council member the question is for. You Meet the Expert Council at this Link.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.