As you guys know, I am a massive fan of homeschooling, but it is not for everyone. What I do feel should be for all concerned parents and grand parents though is as much self directed learning as possible. I just started a project with my Grandson today. Here is how it is working.
Every day when he comes over I will give him a word, he must learn to define the word and spell it. He must be able to explain the concept to the point where I know he understands it. Any words that come up in the discussion he doesn’t understand also must be looked up and learned enough that the original word can be well mastered.
He is doing this for school and the lists he gets for this are pretty low level. My words are more challenging. Each group will have a theme, the first theme is powerful words. Today’s word was initiative, the discussion lead to him also having to learn what the word concept really meant. It led to the main lesson being, people who get shit done get what they want in life. To turbo charge this I crowd sourced ideas for more power words today on my facebook page, check it out here.
That got me thinking why not crowd source the entire concept for a show, not just the individual project. So I did another post, this one in the TSP forum asking for ideas for other such project. Today we cover some of the ones suggested.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Teaching should first focus on how to learn
- Some ideas for projects
- My word of the day project that started all this
- Meal prep from concept to recipe to procurement to execution to serving
- Kiwi Crate Projects – new one on me, website for this here
- Restoring or refinishing a older piece of furniture
- Books like Back Yard Ballistics, the Dangerous Book for Boys, The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science, an American Boy’s Handy Book, etc.
- The Boy Scout Merit Badge Books even for non scouts just for ideas
- Developing a budget to obtain a goal
- Developing a product for sale
- Build a Fox Hole radio – link about them
- Learning to meditate, reflect, relax, be patient, etc.
- Develop a home automation solution – they will quickly be better than you at it
- Develop a lesson to teach you
- Final thoughts – build in the process of learning so that it becomes second nature
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- I Want to Break Free – Queen
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.