Today we are going to talk about PermaEthos. I have been on a break from “permaculture topics” and will continue that break though next week but today we have some really exciting things to discuss.
PermaEthos began as a dream, one simple libertarian community built on the ethics of Permaculture. It was hoped to be a place where 100-160 families could live and work together for liberty and independence.
In our quest to leave government issues behind we ran into of course more government. Despite having surveyed the community and identified over 2.5 million in potential revenues for the projects establishment, we could not get local governments to simply tell us what we could and could not do. All wanted a “master plan” done by professional engineers in advance.
We shifted to a community farm model, we again looked to “investors” and while we did identify that a co-op model likely would work, we also found two wonderful community members who wanted to make a serious commitment to PermaEthos in the form of Charlie and Kevin of Elijah Springs Farm in West Virgina. We are now only a few short weeks away from PermaEthos shifting from dream to reality. Listen today to hear how you can help out.
Join Me Today to Hear…
- PermaEthos is what we talked about yesterday, being the wolf!
- The initial model, how it changed, why this is better
- The flagship product, a Permaculture Design Course like none other
- The opportunities
- Founding Community Member
- Tenant Farmer
- Element Partners (own a Fiefdom)
- Farm Partnership
- Our advisory council (confirmed members)
- Geoff Lawton
- Ben Falk
- Darby Simpson
- Our team
- Jack Spirko
- Josiah Wallingford
- Charlie Mitchell
- Kevin Keegan
- Nicholas Ferguson
- Jesse Tegtmier
- Kelly Herrin
- Our basic plan (phase one)
- Establish the farm while teaching a PDC – Real World Education, not theory
- Complete Wwopfs and Staff Housing Needs
- Develop and set up a nursery, camping area, parking areas
- Establish the first livestock (pork, poultry, lamb)
- Establish annual crops and perennials into an alley crop model
- Establish a local market for the sale of products
- Plan and implement large scale earthworks (amazing stuff)
- Provide ongoing video updates of progress (subscription model)
- Develop stand alone educational products
- Install element partner fiefdoms along the way
- Head into 2015 and complete the implementation on the initial 18 acres
- By 2015 have revenues from farm operation that return a profit plus fund salaries for tenants and farm stewards
- Replicate on other farms (many small communities vs. one large one)
- Some common questions and my current answers
Resources for today’s show…
- PermaEthos PDC Trailer Video
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1335
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Back Woods Home Magazine – (sponsor of the day)
- Mai Thai Coffee – (MSB Discounter of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture (Specializing in North Eastern Climates)
- Paul Wheaton – Permies.com – Permaculture (Specializing in North Western Climates)
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.