Today we continue what is going to be at least a 5 part series on the design science of Permaculture. These will be both done as audio podcasts and in live feeds with support from power point slides. This series will serve long term as what will amount to a free introductory course on Permaculture. If you have not listened to part one, part two and part three you may want to listen to both for a better of the science of permaculture, before diving into the topic of techniques.
Today we expand on our series as we continue with techniques, tactics and strategies as they relate to Permaculture design. While today we will focus on food production and livestock I do want to remind you that as a design science permaculture can be applied to just about anything from designing a business to designing your lifestyle.
Today in Part Four we discuss liberation permaculture, horticulture vs. agriculture and designing properties though the lens of a modern hunter gatherer combined with permaculture design.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Agriculture vs. horticulture
- Hill people vs. city people (flat landers)
- What is the concept of liberation permaculture
- How can you design a “hunter gatherer” system in a back yard
- Understand the real difference between polyculture and monoculture
- Design paths though your property
- Use small spaces
- Let plants tell you where they want to be
- Compost everything, some stuff in place
- Garden beds are fine, but grow everywhere
- Eat what you grow while taking a walk
- Integrate animals into your systems
- Integrate water features
- Mulch, mulch and mulch again (the forest floor is a lake)
- Plant wild things
- Six Permaculture Principles for this Mindset
- Nature is abundance
- Man is part of nature, not separate as we have been taught
- If you build it, they will come
- Manage first by the square foot, then by the square yard
- Remember nature is all around you
- Grow where you are, leave something behind when you leave
- Final Thoughts
This continues a multi part series on Permaculture, next time we will discuss, guilds, free form vs. specific design, 6 more design principles and more.
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Biltong for Breakfast
Permaculture Videos & Resources
- PDF of Today’s PPT Slides from the Video Version
- The 5 Minute Video I Played in Today’s Presentation Walking though my Food Forest
- Understanding Scales of Permanence in Key Line Design
- Great Article on the Scale of Permanence
- Back Yard Orchard Culture Explained
- Permaculture in the MicroSpace – video I played several minutes of today
- Interview I did with Verge Permaculture
- 16 Part Permaculture Design Series I did on Youtube
- Five Primary Functions of Swales
- An Explanation of Swales as a Design System
- Build Your Own High Tunnels with this Tool and Chain Link Fence Rails
- Toby Hemenway on Liberation Permaculture – Epi-180 – TSP Rewind
- Episode-21- TSP Rewind – Toby Hemenway on Developing Self Sustaining Urban Communities
Sponsors of the Day
Video Version of this Podcast
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.