Today we continue what is going to be at least a 5 part series on the design science of Permaculture. These will be both done as audio podcasts and in live feeds with support from power point slides. This series will serve long term as what will amount to a free introductory course on Permaculture. If you have not listened to part one, and part two, you may want to listen to both for a better of the science of permaculture, before diving into the topic of techniques.
Today we expand on our series as we continue with techniques, tactics and strategies as they relate to Permaculture design. While today we will focus on food production and livestock I do want to remind you that as a design science permaculture can be applied to just about anything from designing a business to designing your lifestyle.
Today in Part Three of our Permaculture as a Design Science series we dig into techniques, tactics and strategies. More on type one errors and examine how the scale of permanence influences our design decisions.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is a type one error as applied to permaculture design
- What is a technique
- What is a tactic
- What is a strategy
- Some Permaculture Techniques
- Key hole gardens
- Contour gardens
- Terrace gardens
- The herb spiral (or herb garden)
- Back Yard Orchard Culture
- Wicking beds
- Green houses and other season extenders
- And many more
- Getting tactical
- Determine connections between systems
- Integrate systems and stack functions
- Eliminate labor via automation and natural process
- Consider restrictions based on the scale of permanence
- How to come up with your strategy
- What do you need
- What do you want
- What do you like
- What do you hate
- How much time do you have
- What realities are you ignoring
- Final thoughts
This continues a multi part series on Permaculture, next time we will discuss, guilds, free form vs. specific design, 6 more design principles and more.
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Biltong for Breakfast
Permaculture Videos & Resources
Check out these free videos, you are going to love them…
- PDF of Today’s PPT Slides from the Video Version
- Understanding Scales of Permanence in Key Line Design
- Great Article on the Scale of Permanence
- Back Yard Orchard Culture Explained
- Permaculture in the MicroSpace – video I played several minutes of today
- Interview I did with Verge Permaculture
- 16 Part Permaculture Design Series I did on Youtube
- Five Primary Functions of Swales
- An Explanation of Swales as a Design System
- Build Your Own High Tunnels with this Tool and Chain Link Fence Rails
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.