Most people come to permaculture because of a desire to produce their own food and it is to be fair a huge part of the discipline. In fact people often say that permaculture is a system of “permanent agriculture”. This is understandable as even the founders have on occasion said such things or at least things you can interpret this way.
The key though is to understand that when David Holmgren and Bill Mollison created this system, it didn’t exist. While obvious it is the kind of thing we tend to gloss over. When they began and wrote Permaculture One it did indeed focus almost exclusively on food production.
However, it is important to understand that at that time Permaculture was at best an infant and still had a ton of growing to do. By the time the PDM was published the discipline had expanded that most teaches now describe Perma Culture as exactly that building a permanent culture. Today we look at how the systems thinking that is the science of permaculture can be used to solve almost every problem humanity has.
Join Me Today to Discuss….
- How permaculture started
- Why we should even think about the plant part of permaculture as horticulture not agriculture
- How we address our 6 survival needs with permaculture
- Shelter (this includes clothing)
- Health and Sanitation
- Systems Thinking and Trouble Shooting
- Design is really….
- Determine what you want
- Understanding your design environment
- Examine what you have
- Figure out what you need
- Decide if it is worth it
- Connecting everything together
- Troubleshooting really is…
- Determine what was working or should be working
- Determine what failed
- Take corrective action based on the most logical first step
- Test the results
- If the problem is not rectified continue until you find the problem
- Once the problem is found determine if it can be prevented from reoccuring
- If it is not preventable…
- Document the problem and solution
- Put what is necessary for correction into inventory
- Train anyone using it to identify and correct the problem
- If possible create redundancy in the system
- There is nothing in our lives that this does not apply to
- Design is really….
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Get Paid When You Search the Web with Presearch
- Rockin Down the Highway – The Doobie Brothers
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.