Yesterday I heard that the Boy Scouts of America has now banned scouts from shooting each other with water guns and says if you play with a water balloon that it is to be inflated no larger than a ping pong ball. First I thought this was from the onion but now I see that it is factual and being reported by many people. Here is one example.
Many are shocked, I am not. Long ago I noticed that scouting was in a downward trend due to bureaucracy. That is indeed the problem by the way, might I remind you of “the iron law of bureaucracy“? It was written by modern thinker Jerry Pournell…
Pournelle’s Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people”:
First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisers in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.
Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.
The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.
This is truly what has drug down the Boy Scouts and most other scouting organizations, I also tell you truly there is no recourse, the down slide will continue.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What was great about scouting and where it went wrong
- Understanding the IRON part of the iron law
- The only way to prevent bureaucracy from taking over is elimination of it
- What are the real goals of scouting
- Instill a sense of honor, duty and service
- Promote doing your very best in anything you do
- Develop real skills that translate into real life
- Understand the power of teams, learn to both lead and follow
- Develop real self esteem by accepting and completing challenges
- Promote phyical, mental and spiritual fitness
- None of this requires a bureaucracy
- The OSSM (open source scouting model)
- The only unification is 6 common goals
- Individuals and groups determine how best to acomplish them
- All information can be shared or not
- The responsibility to vet leaders is 100% that of those involved
- The group is a virtual nation made of virtual tribes
- The OSSM Advantages
- Immune to the iron law
- Develops healthy competition
- Creates independent innovation
- Develops 100% voluntary groups
- Requires individuals to truly evaluate their own success/failure
- Allows freedom for all involved
- How it would work
- A social media style website
- People share what works for them, what doesn’t
- Groups form based on voluntary association
- The only moderation is to prevent improper content (porn, illegal, etc)
- The uniform would simply be something like a patch, or may be a challenge coin
- Consider it Scouting Jeet Kune Do
- Why it could work, why it likely won’t happen, yet anyway
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1578
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- AntiFuego Fire Ant Killer
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.