As many of you know we now refer to the TSP Homestead as Nine Mile Farm. We even have a website for it. Located at you guessed it, NineMile.Farm
Originally our goals were simply make enough money so the birds buy their own food and make it worth the effort to care for them. I had planned to build it based on chicken eggs and try to develop a market for duck eggs over time.
Something unexpected and cool happened, we have become “the source” for duck eggs in Tarrant county Texas almost over night with no real marketing. I am actually afraid to market at this point because we can’t produce enough eggs for the few customers we have as regulars and those that just find us now.
All we really wanted from this was to help support local food movements and to help you guys see that in fact you can make a bit of money off your homestead. We also planned to sell plants and do some local workshops and some other stuff. We now realize that we can likely sell as many duck eggs as we can produce.
So the question is now what? How far do we take this? How much time and effort does Dorothy want to invest? Could this spring board into a small family business? We shall see, but for today, I just want to tell you what the next six months have in store.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- From ducks to dollars
- The challenges of raising young ducks, the wait for eggs is long
- 1500 eggs vs 1000, the difference in ducks and chickens
- The egg breakfast that will make you “smack your mamma” if you like soft yolks
- We have a chef now as a customer
- I may have found a processor for our birds
- The planned paddock shift system is being constructed
- Of cinder blocks and fencing
- Four 4×8 beds will yield thousands of plants and trees per year
- Irrigation, we can’t live without it, not in the early years
- Shorter duration workshops at a lower cost might be coming
- The cider orchard now has real legs, thanks to the chickens
- The chickens have begun being sold off, we may move faster on that then planned
- Buddy and Joe are “nesting”
- We are starting to think about children’s groups/church group/school programs
- This year is going to be the big transformational year for the property
- Our biggest goal is still to inspire others to do more than we are
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1516
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
- The Duck Chronicles – Video Series
- My Master List of Cider Apples Classified into Categories
Bob Wells Plant of the Week –
If you live in the south and have always wanted to grow cherries, then these are the trees for you. You need to plant one of each for pollination. They only require 450 chill hours (below 45 degrees).
Minnie Royal is a medium-sized, firm and flavorful red cherry that is mainly used as a pollinizer for Royal Lee and is very productive. The Royal Lee is a heart shape cherry that is an early-season favorite, prized for its high productivity and excellent flavor.
Find these plants and more at BobWellsNursery.com Bob Wells Nursery specializes in anything edible: Fruit trees, Berry Plants, Nut Trees, as well as the hard to find Specialty Trees.
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.