Just so guys there is a method to my madness here, two hydro shows in one week? Yep so here is the reasoning. As many of you know I consider myself a polymath and encourage you guys to work at that as well. Here is a secret to making it happen, temporary obsession.
It works like this, a new concept comes into your mind, you find it interesting and initiate an obsession with it. Not the unhealthy kind that consumes your life, a short term obsession to learn as much as you can, as fast as you can and expand the concept to be as adaptable into other things you already know about as possible. You digest and implement it as quickly as you can and you don’t care about fucking up unless doing so is dangerous or highly expensive.
When you do this you learn more in a few weeks then most will in 2-3 years. Let me clarify that with you learn more useful and actionable things that most will learn in 2-3 years. Now the other thing I do is talk about what I am obsessed about on the air. I do this to get a record of all the crazy shit going on in my head before I obsess about something else.
Well ever since the Kratky Show on Tuesday I have been thinking about hydro in new ways. One of the biggest is for plant propagation. While I am not sure yet if it will be Kratky (non circulating) or perhaps an air pump driven system, I am pretty sure I am going to go to indoor hydro for most seed starting activity going forward. While that won’t be my only focus today, it will be the majority of it.
I also realize that this time of year is great for indoor growing so I am going to talk about that a bit, including how to make things look “pretty” for those that care about such things. However most of you do the majority of your growing spring though fall (as do I) and start seeds for planting out in late winter. For me that is about Valentines day. So my long term plan is to get as much of this out of my head as I can (may be two more episodes) while playing with the concept. Then in late winter to run these again as rewinds when everyone is wanting to get stuff going. I can listen to them myself to remember the ideas I forgot or go back to comments to find out what many of you already know before I bother with mistakes. In fact this second show was largely inspired by a listeners awesome comment in the last one.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Quote of the Day – “Any man who bears the ability of a polymath shall not be interfered by specialty, he needs discipline to manage his behaviors and nurture his creativity.” ~ Shawn Lukas
- A bit on being a polymath
- If you are real polymath you learn from yourself
- You think faster than you should at times
- You have ADD and that is great, harness it, don’t suppress it, screw societies expectations
- More on Hydroponics (mostly Kratky)
- For Seed Starting
- Simple rack and light system
- No need to irrigate frequently
- Heat water with an aquarium heater (very efficient)
- High density
- For hydro or in ground systems
- I am considering aquarium lights here
- Where and why I may go beyond Kratky
- For the seed system an air pump would be stupid easy
- I really want to give “grow towers” a shot in my remolded green house
- I already have power to the greenhouse and aviary anyway
- Somethings I have learned since Tuesday
- If you are going to use solids, mix up a concentrate
- People do use pure hemp fiber or coco fiber and it does work, there are tons of options
- There are integrated large net pot lids for 5 gallon buckets
- Put a dome over starts (duh I already knew this, lol)
- An EC Meter is a great way to get your nutrients spot on – need audience recommendation here, lots of cheaters on Amazon!
- Use rainwater to start (duh why didn’t I think of this)
- Spray paint white containers to block algae
- Spray lids white or back to wight to reduce heat from solar gain on top
- Additional Ideas
- Compress your own plugs
- Make your own net pots from solo cups
- Use warm water for concentrate mixing
- Move seed starting system outside for Spring-Fall use
- This may be our solution to the tomato blight issues in North Central Texas
- The cheap, simple and “pretty” indoor system
- Use a facade to keep containers cooler in the sun, eliminates need to paint them
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
Almost Everything you Need for Kratky Hydroponics
- 3 Gallon Rubbermaid Totes – Note don’t freak out on the price this is for 6 of them.
- 2-7/8ths Hole Saw
- 3 Inch Net Pots 25 Pack about 43 cents a piece
- 3 Inch Net Pots 50 Pack about 35 cents a piece
- 2 Inch GroDan Rockwool
- 1-7/8ths Hole Saw
- 2 Inch Net Pots Quantiy 50 about 21 cents a piece
- 1.5 Inch GroDan Rock Wool
- Expanded Clay Pebbles – Safer than Rock Wool, Better for the Environment and Reusable but can’t start seed directly in it.
- Masterblend Hydro Fertilizer All Purpose Tomato and Veg
- Magnesium Sulfate – AKA Epsom Salts
- Calcium Nitrate
- Master Grow Blend Complete Kit (contains Fertilizer, Epsom Salt and Cal Nitrate in one Kit)
- Gram Scale for Small Amounts of Fertilizer by the Gallon
- Drill Mixer – for mixing larger quantities in rubber maid tubs
- 1 Inch Net Cups
- 7/8th Inch Hole Saw
- Rapid Rooter Plugs
- Soldering Iron by Weller – Don’t go cheap on this!
- Weller Soldering Tips – You don’t need these but they are really nice
- EC Meter – What do you use and recommend?
- 6 Inch Net Pot Integrated Lid for 5 Gallon Buckets
- 8 Inch Net Pot Integrated Lid for 5 Gallon Buckets – Note price is for 25 don’t get sticker shock
- Texas Tomato Liquid Fertilizer Concentrate – Suggested by a listener to Tuesday’s Show, This is a quart for larger sizes scroll down the page, their shopping cart sucks ass!
- 3.5 Gallon Buckets – Also recommended by a listener to Tuesdays show, note this is a quantity of 10, their description sucks ass!
- 4 Way Air Pump – Recommended by same listener above. Anyone who uses it please give me feedback on it.
- PlasticDip – Forget what I said on air it is now cheap with free shipping on Amazon
- Kingbo Grow Lights
- Aquarium Heater with Pre Set Thermostat
- Nicrew 18 Inch Aquarium Light – This light is way better than the 25 bucks it costs!
- Finnex Stingray Aquarium Light – Sizes from 12-48 inches, now my standard planted tank light. Considered a full spectrum LED replacement for a single T5.
- Century Mechanical Timer – I won’t even consider other timers at this point. These work, are simple and last a long time.
More Hydroponics Information Sources
- Rob Bob on Kratky Hydroponics
- Excellent Technical Explanation on the Kratky Method
- Another Basic Explanation on the Kratky Method
- Using pool noodles as media
- How to make a down spout garden part one
- How to make a down spout garden part two
- How to make a down spout garden part three
- Cheap Easy Hydroponics
- Keep on Growing – Mike VanDuzee’s Channel
- Masterblend Hydro Fertilizer by the Gallon
- PDF by B.A. Kratky of the University of Hawaii
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.