We have discussed the concept of becoming a modern renaissance man aka a polymath a few times on feedback shows, but never as a stand alone subject. I took a walk with the ducks today and was thinking about the vast array of topics we cover on TSP and together we decided it was time to take becoming a polymath to the level of a stand alone topic.
I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what a renaissance man really is and for that matter what an expert really is. We are going to dig into that today. We are also going to discuss the advantages of becoming a polymath, why it isn’t as hard as many think and why today is the easiest time in history to do so.
I also want to talk about why you would want to do this and the advantages it brings into your life. Most importantly I want to discuss how modern education has made what should be common very rare today.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is a polymath or renaissance man
- How modern education killed the renaissance man
- The mindset change you need to become a polymath
- What is an expert
- How do you become an expert in a subject (Tim Ferris vs. Jack Spirko)
- Where polymath Ben Franklin got it wrong with a “Jack of all trades and a master of none”
- How to determine the subjects and skills you wish to master
- Separating knowledge, hard skills and competence
- The disadvantages of being a polymath
- You can be an expert in a few things but will never be as good as you could in any of them
- You will get bored with things more quickly and move on to something else all the time
- Many things that entertain, amaze, surprise others will become pointless to you (largely apathetic)
- You will most likely need to be an entrepreneur or very fluid in your career goals (not an absolute)
- You won’t know when to quit at times when it is the best or only option
- The advantages of being a polymath
- You will be a problem solver and trouble shooter
- It will be very difficult for people to bullshit you or take advantage of you
- You will be adaptable and bring value to others
- There will always be something you can do in any situation (99% of the time)
- It gets easier and easier as you go
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Find Your TSP Facebook Group for Your State
- Jeremy on SongFacts
- Jeremy – Pearl Jam
- Pearl Jam Metallica Mash Up “Sad But Even Flow”
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.