What do I mean by minimalist homesteading? Simply put the least amount of work for a reasonable return of investment in food and resources for your life. Something you can do on land, small or large while working a full time job and not feel overly taxed by it.
Many of us like having large designed systems, multiple gardens, 4-5 different livestock species, etc. Chopping and splitting wood, building structures, etc. Yet the average person (that might just be you) isn’t going to do this. Or often they will, then they hate it, then they get rid of everything and just quit.
But what if we drilled it down to 6-8 things and all one had to do was pick 4-6 of them, do them right and set them up with automation and with seasonality (not everything is an all the time thing). And that person could say cut their grocery bill by 50% and have 50% food security and save money at the same time.
Can we do that? Not only can we but we should. Even those that want to go larger should like just do this first. Does it sound like “zone one design” from permaculture? Well in many ways it is. Pehaps “urban homesteading”? Sure but many get over their heads with that too.
I am going to keep this one simple, no 8 syllable words, no chicken tractors, everything simple to build, simple to manage and with the goal to be able to leave your home for at least 5 days with no need of a house sitter or care taker.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why take this approach for the everyday person
- Why take this approach for the larger more advanced property
- The approach in 6 key points
- A small basic garden (or wicking beds) with automated irrigation
- An indoor hydro system that grows food and does plant starts
- One livestock choice that can be automated in care for a week
- Rabbits, quail, muscovy ducks or chickens all work
- Perennials or or annuals that grow like perennials as “survival crops” (irrigated)
- A single aquatics system with pump and power redundancy
- Fodder trees grown as ornamentals
- A compost solution that works for your waste stream
- A seasonal based meat production system
- That really is all most people need to produce a ton of food
Resources for today’s show
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Flote
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Bitcoin Tools in One Place
Sponsor of the Day…
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.