Today I was thinking about a lot of things. One was a friend a very close friend dealing with a major life transition. That got me thinking to many of my own transitions. This included realizing that I was on my own as a teenager, joining and leaving the military and moving to Texas. I also thought about getting what I thought was a dream job, moving my family for it, then losing it due to a buy out. My son growing up and leaving home, moving to Arkansas and moving back to Texas and more. Including lost friends, failed relationships and more.
As one who believes in synchronicity I was not surprised when the most recent issue of Self Reliance Magazine was on my counter this morning and I opened and saw a column by Dave Duffy called, “Reflections on the Gift of Life”. I will admit as I love Dave, have met him a few times and read his work for almost 3 decades the first thing I did was scan the article for any warning sings that is was a farewell. I was very happy to read this line while skimming, “I’m now 75 and healthy so still have some time left to work on my list”. I then read the rest which was a list of 14 life goals Dave had for himself in life, 11 of which he has done quite well with.
All this led to to today’s topic, Dealing with Life’s Transitions. I thought about how many people I have met in this audience who have had to deal with the loss of family, PTSD from their service, divorce and more and how they have told me that TSP has been so good for them. So for everyone out there who has had struggles with life’s constant change, today’s show is for you.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The Dave Duffy article that made me choose today’s topics
- Some of my transitions and what I learned from them
- Realizing that I was on my own at 16
- Joining the Army at 17 and coming home at 20
- Moving to Texas and being dead broke for the first year
- The loss of a few good friends
- Making it to Arkansas and having to come back to Texas
- The mindset of transition
- You can’t change yesterday, only learn from it
- What ever control you have exists today and tomorrow
- Focus on what there is to be done, on what you can do
- Set goals, make some relatively easy and get on with them
- Some Resources I Recommend
- Things that make me let go of the past and be in the now
- My wife
- Fishing – The Spiritual Fisherman
- The Stars
- A Forest
- Spirko’s 29th Law of Life – “Your past is not a liability. Those who have achieved the most always seem to come from a life that involved struggle, poverty or adversity. Usually it is all three.”
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- Something’s Coming On – Joe Cocker
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.