Here are Nine Mile Farm we have pretty much settled into our selected systems on a lot of things at this point almost 5 years into the journey. Our ducks run on a clock work like system, feeding, paddock shifting, egg collection, etc are all quite fine tuned at this point.
The trees require very little maintenance and most of our desired infrastructure is now installed. Still we are constantly trying and testing out new things. This year we have found some really great gems of knowledge and we have also come up with some quite refined plans for our future.
A lot of the new stuff is going to be built in winter, because here in north Texas that is the most pleasant time of year for construction work and out door projects. Today I am going to do an old school sort of “chat with Jack” episode on what has worked well this year and where we are taking that knowledge to in the future.
Join Me Today to Discuss….
- The aviary and aquaponics system has become a great asset in need of tweaking
- The timber frame pond (Miyagi) is the most trouble free aquatic system I’ve built
- Thai water spinach is an amazing and delicious plant
- Peppers do fantastic at 60% shade here in Texas anyway
- Tomato blight continues to be the bane of my existence
- Elevated ponds and gardens are the way forward due to the ducks
- Our in ground pond is pretty much a disaster, we may have to nuke it
- Bluegill and other sunfish are about the most trouble free and economically viable protein here in Texas
- Bullheads do not seem to be a good aquaponics option
- A Steven Harris Battery Bank and a cooler make a great live well
- Plans for this winter
- Build a bigger, better Miyagi
- Grow out koi for the Miyagi’s
- Develop a large wicking bed system that is 100% duck proof
- Design a planting plan for the new and old systems
- Meat chicken run in 2018, no new ducks this time
- Take another go at the orchard that failed
- Duck Free Zones and an Outdoor Kitchen
- Look to simplify systems and automate everything
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- The Year 59
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – support TSP when you shop on Online
- Grandaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Information
- The Lodge Cast Iron Wok – Item of the Day
- GunWerks – Youtuber of the Day
- There Was a Time – Tom Fogerty
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.