Over and over we hear people beating up on the millennial generation, and I am sure it will soon be Generation Z’s time to be beaten up on soon. I get it, it does bother me when a 19 year old kid doesn’t even know what a ratchet is for instance. However, how’d they get this way?
We did it! The last of the Baby Boomers (aka Tweeners) and GenX we did it by not teaching them about, well almost everything. We pretty much outsourced all learning to the school system. I mean we came from it, so we know it isn’t great but as many of us were “latch key kids” that raised ourselves we figured it was good enough for us so……
Problem is folks, things like home economics, shop class, etc have largely been removed from our schools. As have the higher “life meaning” components to things like history and economics. In other words as lacking as our education was, this young people today have it worse. They may learn to pass tests but they don’t get taught how to do anything.
So what is the solution, go join the PTA? Run for the school board? How about something simpler, be a parent that teachers, trains and spends time with your kids doing cool stuff. Today I try to give you some ideas for that, that will help kids learn. The good news is kids actually love learning.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why so many kids weak and uninformed
- First it is our fault
- They don’t know pain we have bubble wrapped them
- They don’t know failure we have insulated them from it
- They don’t know challenge, we have robbed them of it
- They have unlimited access to “entertainment”
- We are in a transitional stage of humanity they are caught in it
- Some fun stuff to do with kids that teaches them about life and nature
- Make butter – this is so simple
- Cook a simple soup with them
- Teach them to build a fire
- Make an herbal salve
- Take short hikes in the woods/nature trails, etc
- Have occasional “lights out” nights
- Watch movies and TV shows from your childhood
- Involve them in a car repair project
- Put them on an incentive based allowance program
- Help them create a budget
- Go to botanical gardens, zoos, aquariums, etc.
- Grow microgreens or do sprouts
- Build a bug out bag with them and discuss it
- Involve them in basic pantry planning
- Do “career research” with a work sheet
- Teach them basic excel – learn yourself if you don’t have the skill
- Make your own “MREs”
- Learn to shoot something, bow/bb gun/slingshot/airsoft/etc.
- What can you think of?
- Final thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- On this Day in 1975 Jimmy Hoffa Vanishes – 43 Years Ago
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- TspAz.com – Support TSP When You Shop Online
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing
- Aquatics and Aquaponics Playlist
- Biltong for Breakfast
- My Generation – The Who
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.