So today we will talk a bit about foraging and hunting and where they fit into all this but that is not the main topic. I am talking hunting and gathering like behavior on your own homestead be it 1000 acres or 1000 square feet.
The term hunter/gather is tossed around a lot but we seldom look at the actual lifestyle of such people. What is it composed of? We such people do either grow or gather “survival rations” things you can store long term for when times get lean. But in general they are like omnivorous human grazers.
Think about how much game was in North America before it was settled by westerners. There were 10s of millions of Native peoples living here but they had almost no negative impact on the game. Why? They took what they needed as they needed it. And you know what, they did this more for convenience than for conservation reasons.
Think about it, say you own 12 cattle on your land and your land can feed them. How many are you going to kill at one time if you are only using them to feed your family? Well one of course, it is less work, that is the biggest reason. The rest continue to take care of themselves and make more cattle until you need another one. We will examine this and more today as we take a different look at homesteading.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- The lifestyle of the hunter gatherer, it ain’t what we’ve been taught on TV
- How this applies to homesteading
- Some main crops or foraging in time of plenty
- Most of the time eating like a grazer
- Produce vegetables, fruits and proteins
- Don’t work harder than you have to
- Only harvest or even create large harvests that make sense
- Some keys to this lifestyle
- First it is basic permaculture design
- Plant in high density
- Plant in heavy diversity
- Succession planting
- Develop some protein source
- Include perennials
- Do a little bit every day
- Automate anything you can
- Accept seasonal limits
- Grow what survives or create an environment where it can
- Do forage/hunt off site
- Why this method works best for the most people
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 104
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Biltong For Breakfast
- Ballad of the Alamo – Marty Robbins
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.