Last year at this time, the wife and I were cutting up so many jalapenos that it took 3 days just to get them all ready for dehydration. We had taken bag after bag of produce to the local church all summer long as the abundance was more than the two of us could us.
Neighbors who had previously shook their heads in slight mockery at our initial set up now shook their heads in awe at an abundance none had ever seen. Into a rocky, granite ridden ridge top we had done something no one ever thought could be done.
Over 1,000 peppers in one harvest from 24 plants, yea we did that. 25 water melons from one 4×10 foot bed, did that too. Trees rated to only zones 2-5 surviving in rock and granite in zone 7 with 100 degree days, yep, made it happen.
Yet as most of you know my wife was happy and unhappy at the same time. The place was wonderful and she loved it. Yet the separation from her family was more then she wanted to deal with. So we made a decision to come to Texas. Today a new challenge is unfolding in front of us. Lots of work has been done, the foundation is largely set for next year but this year, well, it has been tough. Today is about what that has taught me.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- From abundance to starting over, the hash reality is mostly psychological
- Why it is good for those who have done well to start over, it is called remembering
- The unique challenges of our property and what they are teaching us
- Less rain
- Less soil in some ways
- Damaged land is harder to work with
- Everything doesn’t work everywhere
- Animals are more work then I remember but more productive as well
- You often don’t know as much as you think you do
- The plans moving forward
- Get the food forest main frame established in Spring 2014
- Urban garden design in Oct. primary implementation over 6 months
- 1500 gallon water catchment, done, expand by 1500 more
- Develop permanent fencing for paddock shift of livestock
- Develop large scale hugul systems on road frontage
- Begin classes with better planing on more than just permaculture
- Increase composting activities on all levels
- When abundance is reached, don’t forget the reset challenges
- In the mean time worry less about initial results
Resources for today’s show…
- The Year 1210
- Members Support Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Mint
- TSP Gear
- Back Yard Food Production – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Defense Consultants – (sponsor of the day)
- Permaculture Voices – Conference I Will Be Speaking At
- The Earthworks Course – With Nick and Nick, now 900 dollars and available with a payment plan
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.