This is a great time of the year to look back at 2014 and begin fall/winter planning as well. 2014 was a big and very active year at the TSP ranch.
While I will talk a little bit about those things today I really want to focus mostly on the on the ground homestead improvements and lessons. We now have a very large flock of chickens and a pretty good sized group of ducks. The exciting part is our ducks are now laying eggs and I am absolutely in love with fresh duck eggs.
I also broke down and installed some “conventional garden beds” but I have already decided on a intensive polyculture model for them. I have completed my sorghum trials and selected a variety to attempt to naturalize on the homestead and more.
Join Me Today As I Discuss…
- The rise of the red pharaoh chicken
- Ducks the gentle on the land birds still do some damage
- The ducks also seem to lay enough and grow fast enough to be a good meat source
- Geese these guys might all be legs up in an oven by years end, except for Buddy
- Jute Mallow will self reseed in my climate, sowing is better though
- The sorghum trials are in, Mennonite for the win, the contestants were
- Black Amber – grows great, birds don’t love it though
- Giant White African, huge yields but falls over
- Tarahumara doesn’t self reseed as well as the others
- Mennonite birds love it, compact, reseeds, coppices well for 2 crops
- Plant propagation is like printing money
- Don’t skimp on the “support trees” and get over the density concerns
- Pop up green houses suck, time to build a real one
- Wolf Berry is fricken tough as nails and easy to propagate
- Dwarf Mulberry is awesome
- My best trees and bushes to grow are
- Autumn Olive and Goumi
- Elders in the right locations
- Currants will grow in Texas in a “Goldy Locks spot”
- If there are to be blueberries, they must be in a container
- Some new things I am going to try
- White clover as a ground cover
- Sowing more vegetables in the food forest
- Better irrigation systems
- The beginnings of a full property “fedge” system
- A controlled Red Pharaoh breeding program
- Horse poop on contour (yes I am serious)
- The biggest lesson, as soon as you find the “best way” you find a better way
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1450
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Berkey Guy – (sponsor of the day)
- Fortress Defense Consultants – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.