Today most feel the word homestead simply means a house with a garden, perhaps some chickens and a little workshop and a few fruit trees. Many true homesteads do have those things and some don’t. Today I will discuss something I first discussed on TSP back in get this, July of 2008 in Episode 20 of The Survival Podcast. Yep back in the Jetta TDI Mobile Studio Days.
Homesteads today come in may shapes and forms. Some are rural homesteads and some are urban homesteads. Some are primarily agricultural endeavors and others are simply well planned homes not tied to overwhelming expenses.
Instead of teaching the value of homestead thinking today Americans are marketed to with a very different message. The message today is clear, home ownership is the way forward. It is the most important thing you can do for yourself and your family and any sacrifice is worth the cost. We are not literally programed this way from grade school onward.
The reality is far too many Americans have homes today! What? How is that bad? You will understand what I mean today as I explain what a home is vs. a homestead. In some ways this can be explained as Robert Kyosiki puts it,
“Most Americans consider a house their single largest asset, the reality is it is usually their single largest liability”
Indeed this is sadly the case but that is only one way of looking at this issue.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- How the original homesteads were built and why they were built
- How a CFO would look at your home if it was a “company asset”
- How debt elimination is the best first strategy for your homestead and lifestyle design
- The case for a garden
- The case for perennial plantings
- The case for a functional home based business
- The case for the small home/tiny home movement
- The case for the large home, or compound approach
- Where alternative energy fits in, where it doesn’t
- Why this is absolutely tied in with buying local/regional
- How the internet has changed things even since the first time I discussed this subject
- How a homestead is powerful but a community of them is more powerful
- The story of the Urban Farming Guys – this is the power of a homestead!
- Why the homestead is a path to liberty
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1500
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- GenForward on IndieGogo
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Backwoods Home – (sponsor of the day)
- Amazing Work with Community of Homesteads in the Inner City
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.