The first time I used the phrase “from home to homestead” on the show was quite a while ago. How long ago you ask? That would have been Episode 20 recorded on July 22, 2008. This concept so resonated with people it became not just a common discussion topic, it actually inspired one couple (Johnny Max and his wife, AKA “The Queen”) to run an entire podcast for a number of years on the concept.
I realized while we talk a ton about the concept of homesteading we have not looked at it from this angle in a long time, so today we are going to do just that.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Quote of the Day – “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
- How we have turned out homes from an assert to a liability in modern society
- The first homesteaders who came to America and why they came in the first place
- The key shift to make is moving your home from a consumer to a producer
- You have to start out by buying right, spend less then the bank says you can have, may be a lot less
- That said of all debt, debt on real estate is the least bad
- Why all preppers should be at least partially homesteaders
- 7 ways you can turn your home into a producer
- Grow food
- Generate income
- Provide recreation
- Using economy of scale with food storage
- Converting food into storable forms
- Energy efficiency and or production
- Learn to locally forage
- In the end it is more about how you think than exactly what you do
- The same spirit that drove the original setters is still alive and well today
Resources for today’s show…
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.