One of the best ways a teacher can understand that he or she isn’t getting a specific component across properly is when he gets the same “wrong question” often. My most common wrong question must most often be, “what do I plant for a cover crop”? Why is the a “wrong question”, sometimes it isn’t but often it is, as is so often the case, “it depends”.
One of the biggest reasons it ends up being wrong is people are asking about a true cover crop. Annual aggressive plants that fix nitrogen, build biomass and choke out weeds and grass, yet trying to establish pasture. Used this way what you often get is bare dirt at the end of a season.
Today on the show we discuss the appropriate use of “cover crops” and what any people are actually looking to do, “over seed” and many other techniques and ways to build soil and improve soil health.
Join Me Today to Learn…
- Why I try to not get deeply academic on soil
- The simple difference between soil and dirt
- What is a cover crop vs over seeding
- Why is soil health so important to our society
- The food web you don’t learn about in school and why it matters
- The only one thing that builds structure in soil, it is a one word answer
- The roles of life in soil
- Bacteria provide glues
- PH of aerobic bacteria is alkaline
- Fungi grow in strands and form highways and bind structures
- Soil with fungi will move to the acidic because soils produce acid
- We can’t grow any plant we care about without fungi (Dr. Elaine Ingram)
- Exudates – mostly sugar, a bit of protein and a bit of carbohydrate
- The simple solutions
- Keep soil covered
- Do not compact soil
- Add organic matter
- compost teas
- Keep something growing
- Remember healthy soil = healthy people
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1388
- Join Our Forum
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- Sawtooth Tactical – (sponsor of the day)
- Survival Gear Bags – (sponsor of the day)
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Also remember we have an expert council you can address your calls to. If you do this you should email me right after your call at jack at thesurvivalpodcast.com with expert council call in the subject line. In the body of your email tell me that you just called in a question for the council and what number you called in from. I will then give the call priority when I screen calls.
Our Expert Council is Made Up of…
- Kerry Davis – Dark Angel Medical – Emergency Medicine and Life Saving Care
- Bryan Black – ITS Tactical – All Things Tactical, E&E, Lock Picking, etc.
- Frank Sharp Jr. – Fortress Defense Consultants – Weapons, Tactics and Security
- Darby Simpson – DarbySimpson.com – Livestock and Farm Management/ Homestead Consulting
- Ben Falk – Whole Systems Design – Permaculture
- Tim Glance – Old Grouch’s Military Surplus – Bug Out Vehicles, Military Surplus and Communications
- Steven Harris – Solar1234 – All things Energy
- Chef Keith Snow – Harvest Eating – Cooking
- John Pugliano – Investable Wealth – Investing and Finance
- Gary Collins – PrimalPowerMethod.com – Health and Nutrition (primal/paleo/etc)
- Michael Jordan – The Bee Whisper – All Things Bees
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.