Okay I called today’s show “Half Acre Homesteading” because marketing. The use of two words in a 2-3 word phrase is good at grabbing attention, think “Taco Tuesdays” or anything in that vein. You don’t need a half acre to make today’s show work for you, you can do most of this on even a postage stamp lot, many do. Likewise even if you have a lot more land, then this is what we call zone one design.
Creation of a 1/20th – 1/2 acre system that you spend the majority of your activity on and hence it is ultra productive and gives you the greatest ROI on your efforts. I will be covering techniques, varieties of vegetables and perennials, tools, etc. today but it is also a lot about how to think about the concept of small property homesteading. Today we start with part one of a multi part series on this subject and cover annual gardening.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Intro Segments
- YouTube Channel of the Week
- Come Hang out at My Place on Saturday
- The Concept of Homesteading Applied to Small Properties
- The primary things you can get from a homestead
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat and protein
- Herbs and medicines
- Fibers and materials
- There are many ways to garden, which is best for you?
- Things I tend not to grow and the reasons for that
- Crops everyone should consider
- Egg Plant
- Some variety of squash or edible gourd
- Sweet Potato
- Greens of Various Types Some Great Ones Include
- Swiss Chard
- Kales and Cabbage
- So many are over looked
- Daikon Radish
- Replants – Green Onion, Celery, etc.
- Preserving the Harvest
- Flash Freezing
- Root cellaring or “shelf storage”
- Fertility is the Key to Everything
- Protect Soil
- Use Good Organic Fertilizers
- If You Have to Screw it and Use 10-10-10
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Biltong for Breakfast
- Comfortably Numb on SongFacts.com
- Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.