Announcing the GrowNostr Initiative – Epi-3288
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:38:00 — 28.0MB)
Having been on Nostr now for about a month and having banked a nice stack of satoshis in that time I have come to really appreciate what Nostr is all about. In other words by using it, I get it. There are some hiccups, this thing is brand new and not everything works all the time. But Nostr is really not even a beta product yet, more like pre alpha. So that will correct in time.
The one legitimate complaint by members of my audience is that the conversation is dominated by Bitcoin talk. This makes sense as Nostr’s first adopters were mostly Bitcoiners and Bitcoin Lightning is integrated into Nostr. That said when I was banned for a week from Twitter and spent some real time using Nostr, I as I said, “got it”. Total freedom, but what to do about the one subject dominance?
Well, rather than bitch, how about a solution that helps Nostr, helps Nostr users and helps everyone involved grow. Hence today I launched the Grow Nostr Initiative. A simple plan that simply asks people to share content that is not Bitcoin related, tag it with #grownostr and follow some other guidelines. I figure the average person who follows the program for 90 days will emerge with diverse array of people they follow and who follow them. Increasing Nostr’s diversity of content and network effect at the same time.
Everyone seems to think right now all Nostr is amounts to a Twitter clone. That as you will see today is just one of the first applications of this new protocol. The long term impact of Nostr, may end up being as large as Bitcoin itself. How is that possible? Tune in today and find out.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- What is Nostr
- Notes and Other Stuff Transmitted by Relays
- A protocol not a platform or an app
- A single point of login to various services that you 100% control
- A way to keep your network/contacts no matter what any individual app does
- A rapid incentive to innovate and add features quickly
- A zero bullshit new world with no self important assholes in suits making decisions
- What does the Grow Noster Initiative seek to grow
- To grow Nostr itself by on boarding new users
- To grow the lifestyle design of participants by expanding knowledge
- To grow the person to person networks or all participants
- To grow a huge number of diverse sub communities on 1000s of subjects
- How do you participate
- Get on Nostr
- Commit to the plan and follow it for at least 90 days
- Make two #grownostr posts a day minimum (anything but Bitcoin content)
- Hash tag those posts with #grownostr and other relevant hash tags
- Check the #grownostr feed at least once daily and follow at least two new people using it
- DM those people with, “I found you on Grow Nostr and gave you a follow” or similar
- Check your DMs and follow back people DM’d you from Grow Nostr
- Make at least 4 comments in posts tagged #grownostr every day
- Zap at least 2 people using #grownostr every day
- Advice for Set Up and What I Use
- For IOS I really like Damas.io so does Jack Dorsey by the way
- Android users seem to like Amethyst
- Why I recommend multiple clients to play around with
- What are zaps, how do they work
- Really Understand What Nostr Is
- An active marketplace of V4V ideas and entertainment
- A protocol with integrated payments that many things can and will be built on
- A single point of control of all your contacts and networks and knowledge
- A baby T-Rex that the other dinosaurs don’t fear or understand yet
- What can be built on Nostr besides Twitter clones
- Value based blogging platforms like BlogStack.io
- Instant Messaging with Integrated Payments like Emon.chat
- Things like traffic apps, shopping apps, location apps, take your tribes anywhere you go
- Things I have seen happen since I got on just 30 days ago
- Polls on some clients (50 sats to vote) creator gets the sats
- Enhanced spam filtering on global feeds (especially Damas)
- A way to create invoices for items for sale in feed (I don’t even know how to do this but I saw it)
- You are looking at the future, don’t pretend it is too hard to be part of it
Resources for today’s show…
- My Nostr Pub Key – npub15879mltlln6k8jy32k6xvagmtqx3zhsndchcey8gjyectwldk88sq5kv0n
- Article Explaining the GrowNostr Initiative
- Join the Members Brigade
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- All My Recommend Bitcoin Tools and Resources
Sponsors of the Day
- Paul Wheaton’s Kickstarter is Amazing – Get in on This!
- Join Me at Exit & Build May 18th – 22nd
- Get the Fold Card – Stop Hating Money
- Turkish Made Folding Harvesting and Pruning Knife – Item of the Day
- Find all My Product Recommendations at TspAz.com
Video Version of this Podcast
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.
Just spent half an hour trying to follow you via Nostr protocol. I’ve installed Iris.to and Amethyst. I searched for “jack”, “spirko”, “survival” no results. Then searched your blog and then found this page and your public key. So had to open this page on my mobile and then copy-paste your public key and finally you’re there!
PS. You have typo in your website – there is I instead of O in “podcast”.
Search for his public key
Here is a new project announced to be build on Nostr.
Civ Kit: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Market
Nicholas Gregory, Ray Youssef and Antoine Riard
• We propose a new peer-to-peer electronic market system, which enables censorship- resistant and permissionless trading between users of the global Bitcoin system.
• This design builds on top of the new Nostr protocol for its
peer-to-peer order book and relies on the Bitcoin blockchain as a source of truth for its Web-of-Stakes market ranking paradigm.
Market trades are locked under Bitcoin contracts to avoid reliance on trusted third parties for dispute arbitration.
• All market nodes are incentivized by privacy-preserving service credentials backed by Bitcoin payments.
• This market system should enable global trade of any kind of item all over the world: fiat currencies, goods, services.