Right now we are in discussions with Michael Jordan, AKA “The Bee Whisperer” about developing a course for both experienced and aspiring bee keepers. The course if produced as planned will occur in 15 chapters over a 15 month period. We are calling it a BeeDC or Bee Design Course. A full course on keeping bees the permaculture way.
The course will cover every aspect of bee management from legal issues, marketing products, building hives, setting up hives, dividing hives, trouble shooting problems and more. Here is the current proposed shooting and release schedule for the course.
- Chapter One – Laws
- Chapter Two – History
- Chapter Three – Getting Started
- Chapter Four – Build a Bee Hive
- Chapter Five – Site location and setup
- Chapter Six – Order bees – prep – build food for spring run
- Chapter Seven – Bee installation – How to split hives – making queens – install a nuke – install a package
- Chapter Eight – Building a “bee food forest” – make sure bees have pollen paddy – floral investigation (flowers, apples, etc) – wheel barrels – trailers
- Chapter Nine – Honey flow – pest control – alternative medications – disease control – alternative food sources
- Chapter Ten – First honey flow season – see if boxes are getting honey – manipulating bee hive (adjustment of population) – Hive management – Swarm management
- Chapter Eleven – First honey spin – polin traps – 2 week inspection
- Chapter Twelve – winterizing – downsizing boxes, spinning all you can get out of the boxes – food creation for october
- Chapter Thirteen- Beginning of new mentorships
- Chapter Fourteen- Winterizing – wrap hives for warmth – make powder sugars for emergencies
- Chapter Fifteen – Maintenance of hives for next year
This course would likely cost about 500 dollars if we produce it as in depth as currently planned. We would offer it for those that wanted the option for a monthly payment plan during the course at a slightly higher cost. Likely 15 payments of something like 40 a month if not paid in full. Though no final pricing has been set or committed to at this time.
This would be a major undertaking for both PermaEthos and Michael so we want to gauge interest before going any further. If you would be interested in this course, please fill out the form below.
If for any reason you don’t see the form below you can directly access it at http://bit.ly/bee-dc