Long ago in the first year of TSP, which would be 2008 I said something pretty close to this…
Many are comparing the current interest in homestead to the earlier back to the land movements of the 70s and 30s both which fizzled out. This time is different though, homestead is returning as simply being an American way of life and current forces will only make it stronger over time.
So how has that worked out? I would say that today there are more people “homesteading” then ten years ago, that number is growing and the only time there have been more people homesteading, is when almost everyone was doing it because they had to.
Can I prove that? Nope but based on my observations on and off line and my discussions on and off line, I find it to be a reasonable position to take. Today we examine this phenomenon and examine its potential evolving future.
Join Me Today to Discuss…
- Why homesteading has become so popular in the last decade
- Because it works
- It improves lives, health and economics of families and individuals
- Because it is fun and innately human
- Because of the internet
- What we can expect to see growth of in the future
- Green houses and screen houses
- Urban (small scale) homesteading
- Micro greens and quick return crops
- Back yard orchards and berry patches
- Back yard livestock
- Community development
- The primary skill sets that will become common again
- Food Preservation
- Animal Husbandry
- Several Additional Factors to Consider
- A rapidly changing economy and employment sector
- The propensity to “double up” (multi generation homes)
- The growing desire to simplify “pair down” etc.
- A growing dissatisfaction with “faster, better, cheaper, more”
- Final Thoughts
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 61
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- The Granddaddy’s Gun Club
- Bullhead Fishing Forum – A new little site I started
- Learning to Fly – Tom Petty
Sponsors of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.