Author Topic: Best camping invention - Pie Irons!  (Read 24124 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Best camping invention - Pie Irons!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Not this time,but i did as a kid
I'll have to do that next time

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 07:35:06 AM »
I know this thread is old, but my sister was just telling me how they used their pie irons last nite, (We called them pudgey pies), I remember eating these all the time, I know if you look hard you can find a cast iron hot dog version where it cooks two hotdogs at a time and the outcome is just as delicious as regular ones.

Classics were definitely ham and cheese, pepperoni pizza, and different pie fillings, apple, peach, cherry, and blueberry. mmmmmm

The inventive geniuses for the lower class criminals are
generally professional criminals, while the inventive geniuses for many kinds of white-collar crime are generally lawyers
Edwin Sutherland "White-Collar Criminality" (1940)

One Life One Chance. So make the most of every moment. No regrets only lessons learned

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »
We're learning how to cook with them.  Not too much coals, but enough heat.  Rotating.

We found it's definitely good to pre-heat the pie iron and then put stuff in them.  More even cooking.

We use Pam to prevent sticking. 

Pie irons rule!  The best thing ever.  I can already tell that I'm going to give the pie iron to my kids and they'll treasure it.  Seriously.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Online archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
I'll be camping with my son in a few weeks, I think we'll only bring the pie iron and see what we can make.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
My kids love our pie irons.  We make pizza, bp and j, apple, cherry, cinnamon and brown sugar and anything else we come up with.
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
Not sure if there are any hazelnut fans but I love nutella and banana pie iron sandwiches,

Though this isn't a pie iron recipe another favorite campfire treat is banana boats: cut a banana in half, hollow it out and fill with marshmellow and chocolate chips, then wrap in tinfoil and just throw on the coals of a fire. After a few minutes, you have a mess of gooey deliciousness.

The inventive geniuses for the lower class criminals are
generally professional criminals, while the inventive geniuses for many kinds of white-collar crime are generally lawyers
Edwin Sutherland "White-Collar Criminality" (1940)

One Life One Chance. So make the most of every moment. No regrets only lessons learned

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
This is why you should buy the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones.  If you melt a cast iron pie iron in a campfire after an over indulgence of tasty adult beverages, not only do I want to go drinking with you, but I really want to learn how you make your fire and what you're burning.

Um will you invite me too????

Offline nghtwlf

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 11:50:06 PM »
Love my pie irons when camping,  only second to my dutch ovens.   Have made pretty much everything you eat between 2 pieces of bread.  My favorites are probably pizzas pockets which i have not found a better way to make one while camping and good old grilled ham and cheese.  For best results in my opinion at least a non stick cooking spray suck as pam works great or spray butter for a little better taste.  My other advise would be patience.  you can use a couple of logs one to hold it over a coal bed at the edge of a fire and another to weight the handle get it just hot enough to cook so the insides are nice and hot before the bread burns,  and this way you dont have to hold it for 10 minutes as they can get pretty heavy especially after a few drinks. 

Since it was mentioned ealrier i will second the banana boats mention they make a damn tasty easy to prepare, no clean up desert for those with a sweet tooth.
 Another easy camp fire treat for those with a sweet tooth is roasted donuts.  Buy plain cake donuts, save a few bucks a buy the day olds at the supermarket as they work best a bit stale.  stick them with a 2 pronged hot dog stick and roast them over the fire,  the slower the better, and try not to burn them.  when finished top with vanilla cake frosting and a sprinkle of cinnamon if you like and you would swear you are eating a giant mini donut fresh out of the friar.

Offline grizzman

• Prepper
  • Enjoying coffee in a handmade mug while camping
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
Great idea for changing up the camping menu, plus the kiddo will love being able to play in the fire and not being scolded.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »
The kids will remember the pie irons for the rest of their lives.  I'm making sure my kids get lots of pie iron time in with me. 

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline MountainManIndy

• Prepper
  • My road to somewhere else... [where I grew up]
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »
Howdy all... FABULOUS stuff... I had forgotten all about these... brought back lots of memories in a rush... NOW - to get me a pair of these wonders... (Just got to remember NOT to use them as flyswatters... could do some serious damage if I miss...  ;D - unless it could be zombie swatter...)
~Indy
'All that is necessary for the triumph of Evil is for good men to do nothing.' - Edmund Burke

If you can read and speak English, thank a teacher. If you can write and speak your mind, thank those that serve in the military.

'Never give up. Never surrender.' - Galaxy Quest

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
Tonka Toaster pizza!  Just put a slice of bread in one side slather on canned pizza sauce, cheese and whatever else.  Then another slice of bread on the other side.  Let the crust hang out.  When the crusts all burn away the pizza is done!

I used to love these.  We used to make them inside our house in a wood stove.  Kids love to make these also, and the pizzas are very hard to over cook because the sauce and cheese are so "wet."

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
Mountain Pie makers are the tits...

I call them "Hobo Hot Pockets" and put just about ANYTHING in them.

I also have the electric version for the kitchen, the one you can make 2 at a time and it cuts the bread into 2 neat little triangles with sealed edges.

To get the ones that won't melt in the campfire look for the cast iron ones. The aluminum ones will melt in a hot enough fire (looked just like melting a pop can in a hot fire when my friend lost his to the fire gods).

Iron is much better for your diet than aluminum from what I hear.

They are more expensive and heavier but will last a lot longer than the aluminum ones.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
Resurrecting this thread - I just bought one, tried it and DH insisted I buy another. Hey, two is one, right?

So far, we've made peach pies on the campfire and ham & cheese sandwiches on the gas grill. I'm excited to expand our repertoire once they get really seasoned, maybe to French Toasts and Monte Cristo sandwiches. Any more pudgie fans?

Online archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
french toast... i gotta try that now...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
Cooks stuffed quail and frog pretty good too!And the double size will do a squirrel with veggies .

Tenderizing a horse :deadhorse:
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 02:09:38 AM »
Crumbled up sausage, and scrambled eggs left over from breakfast with cheese, always was one of my favorites, followed by ham and cheese.

I was never big on the sweeter uses, not really big on sweets in general, but I did see someone make a s'morish themed dessert filling bread with chocolate and marshmallow, and dusting it with powdered sugar.

Once you look at it like a hot pocket maker, the sky is really the limit.

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »
Today I made extra pancakes and as I was cleaning up, I thought, "pie irons with maple-nut cream cheese." Going to have to try that soon.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
Resurrecting this thread - I just bought one, tried it and DH insisted I buy another. Hey, two is one, right?

So far, we've made peach pies on the campfire and ham & cheese sandwiches on the gas grill. I'm excited to expand our repertoire once they get really seasoned, maybe to French Toasts and Monte Cristo sandwiches. Any more pudgie fans?

where did you buy them from ? Cast Iron, correct ?
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
where did you buy them from ? Cast Iron, correct ?
Yes, cast iron, Rome brand, from Amazon. The hardest decision was round or square. I went for square, because I couldn't see wasting the corners of the bread.