Ben and his wife, Penny, along with their two sons, have transformed a worn out Vermont hillside into a thriving homestead, which currently provides more than 90% of their food, along with most of their building materials, all their heating and cooking fuel, and many other essentials.
They call their style of homestead scale food production “practiculture,” reflecting the fact that they draw on many different methodologies while always striving to make this work “doable.” They are the authors of the recently-published book The Nourishing Homestead.
Ben’s previous book is Home Grown, which explores his experience with the public ed system (he’s a high school dropout) and his family’s experiences “unschooling” their two sons.
Ben joins us today to discuss Homestead-scale nutrient dense food production and what he calls practiculture. To go into how to make your food nutrient dense, what that actually means and why it is important. As well as discussing his new book, “The Nourishing Homestead“.
Join Us Today to Discuss…
- What exactly is nutrient density and why it matters
- The connection between soil health and human health
- The relationship between big pharma and big food
- What it’s like to grow and process 90%+ of your own food,
- What Ben’s days and diet looks like
- The difference between independence and interdependence
- The essential role of livestock in a healthy homestead/farm eco-system
- What the hell is “practiculture,” anyway do we really need another freaking word
Resources for today’s show…
- Join the Members Brigade
- The Year 1592
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSP Gear
- The Duck Chronicles – Video Series
- Safecastle Royal – (sponsor of the day)
- Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)
- Ben’s Website
- Electric Pressure Canner I Use
- Video of My Wreck
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.