Today I am going to use a variety of projects I am currently planning and implementing here at Nine Mile Farm to teach you about function stacking. Function stacking is a key principle in permaculture but it should really be a key principle in all design.
Geoff Lawton says “the more restrictions on a design, the more eloquent the design” and it is always how you see function stacking show up even when designers don’t use the term. A perfect example is all the “tiny house” TV shows and videos. Equally you see it in RVs.
As soon as that living space is scaled down that table and chairs is now a place to eat, a place to work, converts to a couch and converts to a bed. I am sure you can think of many examples like staircases that are also for storage, etc.
But why do we wait until we have to function stack to do so? When we intentionally design function stacking into all designs we do more with less. As in less material, less energy, less money, less on going maintenance, less future inputs and less money. Sound good? Tune in today to learn more.
Join Me Today to Discuss….
- What is function stacking and why should you care
- What is the 3 reason rule of design and how does it create 3 or more functions to the element
- Some Projects I am Doing and How they will Stack Function
- My Duck feed/composting system using waste water, aquatic plants and more (video)
- My new berry beds that are going in this spring (may be part of a workshop)
- My shop redesign
- My new pattern scheduled duck pool system (super low tech)
- My new mobile duck/chicken hopper feeder
- How to maximize your ability to function stack
- Take in new information constantly
- Think constantly about energy output and energy flow
- Be clever with low tech solutions (aquarium siphons for instance)
- Push yourself when you evaluate every element
- Why this spot
- What can it do
- What are its needs and its outputs
- How does it or can it relate to other elements and energies
- What can I eliminate or provide with something I already have
- Final thoughts on why this is one of the most important skills of a good designer
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Silver Stallion – The HIghwaymen
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.