This podcast was from a video that was prompted by a lot of misinformation, confusion and frankly some things that were absolutely factually wrong on our ReGen Ag Facebook page. I recorded it all the way back in April of 2018 but it is all still relevant today. The original video version is here, it was before I went keto. God look how fat I was.
Here are the questions covered in order.
- What kind of fish do you use? Have you ever tried implementing non-fish creatures like crayfish or scud?
- I’d like to see the energy calculations. I have a feeling these big aquaponics projects use more energy setting up than they will ever provide?
- Do you see any reason why using a male and female PVC fitting threaded together and JB Welded through a bed container wouldn’t work just as well as a bulkhead? Have you had any situations where being able to remove your bulkheads has been necessary?
- Why are so few making it into a profitable enterprise?
- How many mineral additives do you use? (Iron chelate, potassium, ext…)
- How to get your wife on board with it?
- What is the average return on investment?
- Have you ever performed a brix test and compared a fruit or vegtable grown in soil compared to water?
- If you are doing wicking beds is it still truly aquaponics?
- I would like your thoughts on ideas for making a decorative garden.
- Are there any concerns using the PVC primer and glue from Home Depot or Lowe’s? Is there a food grade alternative?
- I’m interested in maintenance. Once it’s up and running is it pretty durable? Back up parts, etc.?
- As a nutrient / water source, could I pump water directly out of my 1 acres farm pond and cycle it back into the pond?
- If you have an outside system and your fish tanks are outside uncovered. Do you see a problem with getting too much rain and having an overflow and losing nutrient out of your system.
- Is there a concern with bothering any fish by adding extra nutrients to the beds? Like the tea Jack suggest for keeping away pests?
- What tests do you perform to make sure the system is and stays balanced? pH, ammonia, or observation only?
- How do you determine water flow rates for the size and type of bed?
- If you had to start over again, is there anything you would do differently? I realize you learn and things evolve but just wondering this knowing what you know now?
- What type of fish do you use? Do you incorporate any other life besides fish? Do different species or fish contribute differently to the system?
- What food have you grown that you have found that is superior to conventional methods?
- Does the lava rock in your wicking beds act as the medium that your nitrifying bacteria live in? How deep is the water in your larger wicking beds?
- How does aquaponics compare to the benefits that symbiotic soil bacteria and fungi give to the plants?
- Would you recommend a beginner to start with gold fish?
- Is there a specific genus of worms for aquaponics? Going through some of the old episodes, it was said that worms need it moist but too much and they could drown.
- What trees work in that system?
- Is there a way to use the water from a duck bath for aquaponics?
- Do you do anything to encourage the beneficial microorganisms?
- How important is water ph for in the tanks, and do you test your water, or is that regulated by the plants?
- Specifically, what food do you grow in a flood and drain besides leafy greens? It’s my first year with a system and it’s about to get too hot for those pretty soon.
- Are aquaponics to farming as the flow hive is to beekeeping?
Source of the numbers provided https://www.fmi.org/our-research/supermarket-facts
Resources for today’s show…
- Follow Life With Jack on Instagram
- TSP Facebook Group
- Join the Members Brigade
- Join Our Forum
- Walking To Freedom
- TSPC on Discord
- TSPC Group on Telegram (group chat)
- TSPC Telegram Channel (just messages from me)
- Jack on Parler
- Jack on MeWe
- Join Me on Odysee
- Honkey Tonk Heroes – Waylon Jennings – Song of the Day
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK (866-658-4465) and you might hear yourself on the air.
Want Every Episode of TSP Ever Produced?
Remember in addition to discounts to over 40 vendors who supply stuff you are likely buying anyway, tons of free ebooks and video content, MSB Members also get every edition of The Survival Podcast ever produced in convenient zip files in blocks of 24. More info on the MSB can be found here.